New Holland tc45

/ New Holland tc45 #1  

ScottDW

Tractor
New Holland tc45d
I have been discussing this tractor with no power to the dash. I have replaced the battery and cleaned all connections including the ground on the frame. I have power going in and out the 40 amp fuse above the starter. How do I remove the upper and lower panels to continue checking the problem. Does anyone have any more ideas as to what could be wrong with this tractor?

Thanks,

ScottDW

/ New Holland tc45 #2  
Scott, have you checked all of the fuses behind the gauge panel? Do you have power to the ignition switch?

Sorry, I'm going from memory on this since my tractor is on a jobsite, but to remove the lower panels, there are two horizontal bolts that hold the panels on that you can easily see below the dash. There are also bolts on the back of the panels that you can see with the hood open. Those will take a combination of long ratchet extensions. Check for power at the safety module hanging down behind the left side panel at the bottom of the steering column. This module has wires coming into it from the seat switch and/or parking brake and sends a signal to the fuel solenoid.

/ New Holland tc45
No I haven't. No power to switch at all,no lights, nothing. I will check the fuses. Do I have to remove the dash panel to get to them? I will check all that you say after I check the rest.

Thanks for the input,

ScottDW

/ New Holland tc45 #4  
Yes, remove the two screws for the gauge panel to find the fuses. #2 from the left will probably be a circuit breaker. Not sure, but I think it can be replaced with a fuse to check. It almost sounds like you may have more than one issue going on, but I think it's a safety switch issue. I sure wish we still had jinman (RIP) here. He worked through these problems like nobody's business.

Check to make sure the pto safety is depressed when the handle is pushed all the way to the rear. You can see the switch under the same side fender at the linkage. Also make sure that the seat safety is fully depressed and it's still in the slot at the bottom of the seat. Seat safeties do fail (mine did.) If you want to eliminate it, follow the wire from the seat bottom to the wiring loom behind the seat and use a jumper to hook the two wires together. Mine has been jumped for years.

Edit: The "no lights" deal bothers me, but it could also be a fuse.

/ New Holland tc45
I am doing this for a friend of mine. He also said the rabbit/turtle switch did not work. Could this be related?

/ New Holland tc45 #6  
Could be. Is it the switch on the right console or the switch on the joystick not working, or both? You'd have to remove the plastic surround below the joystick and follow the wiring. I'll call my service manager tomorrow and relay what you've told me. He's pretty sharp on the TC series and always ready to help out.

Unfortunately I no longer have an owners or service manual. Both were stolen from my truck in a briefcase and no doubt tossed.

/ New Holland tc45 #7  
Almost forgot, but I believe that there's also a neutral safety switch under the left side fender as well. While you're under that side check where the shift linkage connects to the side of the case. There's a roll pin that locates the bracket on the shift rod that can rattle itself out. Have your friend shift it from reverse to neutral and then into forward to verify that its indeed shifting. If its not in neutral it won't start. I'd double check the pto linkage to make sure the linkage hasn't rattled itself into gear. Mine is held to the rear with a bungee over the handle.

/ New Holland tc45
This tractor has hydro ststic trans. Does this matter?

/ New Holland tc45 #9  
Everything I've been referring to is for the HST trans. My service guy is out today, so it's a no-go there. After thinking about it awhile I remembered that the lights, blinkers, etc only work when the ignition is on. I'd pull the lower right side panel and check for power there. If power is there on both sides of the switch in the on position, check for power on both sides of the black safety module with the switch on.

/ New Holland tc45
Thanks,
Scott