MF 1140 Broken Frame

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame #1  

Nick79

I have a Massey Ferguson 1140 compact tractor and the frame has broke twice. The first time it happened I welded the crack and then plated it. Has anybody heard of this before and if so what is the best way to fix it so it doesn't happen again? It does have a frontend loader on it, and I think that may be the cause of it but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame #2  
Nick have you been using a backhoe with your Massey? If so what kind?

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame
No, It has never had one on it.

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame #4  
How much counter balance have you been hanging on the back. These little tractors tend to come apart with filled tires and weight added on the rear.
Are you talking loader frame or the tractor housing

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame #5  
Like rdbrumfield said, what part are you talking about breaking. Was it part of the loader, the engine frame rails, the transmission housing or something else? I am having a hard time understanding what you could have welded and then plated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame #6  
i also am having a little problem understanding what actually is breaking , a pic would be a little help.

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame
There is a frame that goes around the engine block, and it broke on the right side about midway back. The frame only runs back to the rear of the engine.

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame #8  
Nick, if you unbolted the frame, would it come off with the loader, or would the tractor not be usable without it? Most loader frames go back to the transmision, at least behind the bellhousing seam, and under the tractor. If this is the part that is breaking I would recommend that you take the part off, using it for a pattern and building something a bit beefier. Just remember, making one point stronger usually means that something else will take up the extra strain. That would be the case of the tractor, I hope you don't have to go there.

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame #9  
Nick are you able to take a picture of the part that keeps breaking and post it here at the site? I am sure you would get better advice if we could understand exactly which piece was breaking.

/ MF 1140 Broken Frame
The frame attaches to the engine block. The front axel, steering gearbox, and front bumper all bolt to the frame I am talking about. The loader does slide into a channel that is bolted to the bumper and then the other two supports for the loader bolt directly to the bell housing. I will get some pictures posted in the next day or so. Thanks