farmall distributor pickle.

/ farmall distributor pickle. #1  

superCslim

Tractor
farmall super c, farmall 340
I have a 340 farmall that won't run very long. I have cleaned and rebuilt the distributor with new points, timed it right and it starts first shot. It runs great for about five minutes then spits and sputtes chokes and dies. I gaped the points at .20 the first time fired up run ok for the trip around the barn. Left it for a week went to readjust the points but it had moved to where there was no gap. Screw was tight. Ajusted at .25. Ran great a week later it was down to .19 gap and running like crap. Screw was tight.

Anyone ever have this happen to them?

/ farmall distributor pickle. #2  
I had it happen in the 70's to a '66 chevy 6 cylinder, the bushings in the distributor was bad, causing excess play in the shaft. It would run bad and backfire etc.

/ farmall distributor pickle. #3  
It happened to one of my dad's IH forklifts one time. It ended up that the oil filled coil went bad. Once I put on a new coil, it ran better than it ever had.

/ farmall distributor pickle. #4  
Wait, I remember another time, different IH there was an issue with the points moving. The threads that the bolt tightens into to hold down the points, had semi-stripped. I had it re-tapped, and it was fine.

/ farmall distributor pickle.
I'm not sure. The distributor bushings seemed ok. I pulled the distributor out of the 340 and stuck it in my farmall c and it runs fine. No problem what so ever. I put the C's distributor in the 340 and it run for about 10 minutes just fine even running the throttle up and down. Would have drove it but the battery died and that's when I noticed the alternator had stopped working. So I gave up for the day.

/ farmall distributor pickle. #6  
Isn't it great when you feel like you are on a roll, then something else breaks? Happens to me a lot.