Kubota M6040 fuel starving

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #1  

Chaostamer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 w/ FEL & Kubota M6040 w FEL
I have a Kubota M6040 with loader and cab. I bought it this spring (165 hrs on it). The thing worked well up until this weekend. I jumped in, started it up, let it warm up and then headed out of the shop. I slowly backed out of the shop and started to go around a corner and realized that there was no upper RPM. I could max it at 1900 at best. It got to a point where it would barely run. I let it sit for a little bit as I got Diesel 911. Put about 4 oz in (temp was only 42 so this should have not been my first thought but I am learning). Tried again and got the 1900 RPM line again but not for long. Barely limped back to the shop. On the advice of my friend I pulled fuel lines off as a precheck before changing the fuel filter. I pulled the line going into the filter and had my wife turn the key and crank the tractor. The initial trickle of fuel turned to nothing. So I backed up to just before the water separator (line coming in from the tank) and same thing. I thought then it might be a fuse issue. I checked the fuses under the steering wheel and there is nothing there that would relate to a fuel pump (I didn't check all the fuses because they didn't seem to line up with fuel issues). Any ideas what is going on here? My skills and time are limited but would like to try to fix this thing is possible.

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #2  
Check were the fuel comes out of the tank. If you fill up with gas cans and in the field it can become clogged.

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving
Navasot - thanks for the idea...can you help me understand a couple things. First, would checking the fuel coming out of the tank be the same as taking the hose off right before any fuel line component? I hope that comes across as I am trying to understand and not being snarky. I am on a learning curve here. Also, if that isn't the same, how would I check the flow out of the tank if the fuel pump is downstream? Thanks!

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #4  
Some manufactures put small filters inside the tank that can get clogged. Also with enough build up the tank can clog either way.

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #5  
Check to be sure tank vent pipe isn't plugged. How long since fuel filter was changed?

Fuel filter was changed this summer. I tried blowing air back in to the tank through the hose that connects the tank to the water separator. When I tried starting it again it worked great for a bit and then back to the same stuff. I didn't fill the line or bleed it after blowing the air back. Should have I done that? If so, how?

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #7  
May want to drain the tank and clean it out well

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #8  
I assume that you drained the water separator as a part of your process?? If not, do that too.

Thanks all for the advice! Update: I pulled the tank, had it cleaned and reinstalled it. I siphoned the diesel up out of the tank through the line that goes into the water separator (reminded why I don't like that process with a mouthful of diesel). I pumped the bleed pump on top of the fuel filter (basically followed instructions in manual) and restarted. I can get it to run for 3-4 minutes and then dies down. When I jump out and try to pump the manual pump again the lever goes down and then stays down. I come back in 5 minutes and then I can pump as much as I would like. Tried that series a couple of times and same result all times. I am going to replace the fuel pump tonight -after trying burceatlam's suggestion about the water separator.