Radiator, rust problem or not?

/ Radiator, rust problem or not? #1  

keony

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29DA
The paint/coating on the radiator fins has peeled off and is rusting in several areas. Should I try to repaint it or is this fairly normal wear and tear?
Not sure if I'm just borrowing sorrow or does this need to be addressed.
Thanks. No significant snow yet in Washington Co. MD...

/ Radiator, rust problem or not? #2  
All radiators I have ever seen are either brass or aluminum and they don't rust. Could be that your radiator is leaking rusty water from the radiator. This should also not be happening if the anti-freeze has been changed regularly. Photos of the "rust" would help.

/ Radiator, rust problem or not? #3  
I've never seen a radiator that is made of anything that rusts. You might have a small leak showing rust in the coolant from your engine block. Anytime I take a radiator to have it rodded out I tell them do not paint it.

/ Radiator, rust problem or not?
All radiators I have ever seen are either brass or aluminum and they don't rust. Could be that your radiator is leaking rusty water from the radiator. This should also not be happening if the anti-freeze has been changed regularly. Photos of the "rust" would help.

Okay, that's reassuring. Coolant is good, so maybe I can ignore the "rust". I think the paint is factory OEM. I'm probably worried about nothing. No leaks and engine doesn't run hot. Thanks Gary and Oliver.