MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel

/ MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel #1  

intothefray2007

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 65
Hello all!

Recently purchased a Massey Ferguson 65 and it's been running great, disced and cultivated and mowed in the field with it this fall. Last time I used it, I noticed oil on the right-hand back tire assembly (see pictures). Now this is the first tractor I ever bought; I'm a bit of a newbie on maintenance, so bear with me.

Is this oil used for the brakes? If not, what is it for, how do I check the level, what type is it supposed to be, and how much should be in there?

I'm also not sure why it's leaking in the first place...? Is there a washer or gasket around these parts? I took a look but couldn't quite see the origin of the leak.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6enr8c5u7oac7sf/20141026_174847.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4e0i9fe3skvek3/20141026_174857.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ore86n9632umh3t/20141026_174943.jpg?dl=0

/ MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel #2  
Hey into, welcome to the forum.. I'm not positive but looks like the leak may be coming from the tire's valve stem. Tractor tires are often filled with liquid solution to add weight to give more traction at ground contact. I would contact dealer where you purchased and check first to see if it's a covered repair. Most times tires are filled by the dealer as an extra (sometimes a perk or bargaining chip) and should be covered for them to check and repair free, as long as you transport it both ways. Sometimes dealers will send their mobile repair truck, but call and check first, so you won't be stuck with a surprise cost. Good luck and let us know the outcome....... Happy Holidays! KW

/ MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel #3  
It appears as if the rear axle oil seal is leaking. This can be caused by a seal failure due to wear or due to overfilling the rear axle. Condensation often adds water to the rear axle and over time it can raise the level of the fluid in the rear axle. I don't know the capacity of the rear axle or how to check it on the MF-65. Yu should get an owners manual( ebay or and AGCO dealer) or go to the MF forum at this site and ask. You might also try the Yesterday's Tractors MF Forum.

/ MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel #4  
Be prepared for a new bearing and seal installation.

/ MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel
Hey into, welcome to the forum.. I'm not positive but looks like the leak may be coming from the tire's valve stem. Tractor tires are often filled with liquid solution to add weight to give more traction at ground contact. I would contact dealer where you purchased and check first to see if it's a covered repair. Most times tires are filled by the dealer as an extra (sometimes a perk or bargaining chip) and should be covered for them to check and repair free, as long as you transport it both ways. Sometimes dealers will send their mobile repair truck, but call and check first, so you won't be stuck with a surprise cost. Good luck and let us know the outcome....... Happy Holidays! KW

Very interesting, thanks for the info. Are the tires usually completely filled? The guy I bought the tractor from mentioned something about how the tires were "not" filled, if I remember correctly. How would I verify that?

Also, if they are indeed filled, how would I go about checking the tire pressure? Wouldn't the liquid (whatever it is) come spurting out because of the air pressure? Or should I rotate the tire and make sure the valve is at the top when checking the pressure?

What are the tires typically filled with anyway?

/ MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel #6  
Very interesting, thanks for the info. Are the tires usually completely filled? The guy I bought the tractor from mentioned something about how the tires were "not" filled, if I remember correctly. How would I verify that?

Also, if they are indeed filled, how would I go about checking the tire pressure? Wouldn't the liquid (whatever it is) come spurting out because of the air pressure? Or should I rotate the tire and make sure the valve is at the top when checking the pressure?

What are the tires typically filled with anyway?

They aren't filled with oil and that's what it appears you have dripping.

They can be filled with water in tropical climates and anything from used anti freeze mix, windshield washer fluid, calcium chloride/water solution, and Rim Guard in cold climates. To check the pressure, rotate the stem to the top and put the gauge n the stem. To check for fluid, rotate the stem to the bottom, and push on the valve with a nail, making sure you have something to cover your eyes. If liquid spurts out, the tire is filled.

/ MF65 - oil leaking out of back wheel #7  
Filled tires will "sweat" the first warm day after a cold spell, if parked inside, in an unheated building out of direct sunlight. Moisture will condense on the outside of the tire, due to the still cold fluid, and warm air temps. If filled on the tractor, as much as possible, the line is normally near the level of the top of the rim.

Several of my whole tractors usually go through a spring sweat, as we call it, the first real warm day after being in the 20's, or colder for a while..