Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter?

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #1  

jimainiac

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I've been reading some interesting posts on the pros and cons of secondary (inner) air filters in tractors. The consensus is that they're good to have for the health and safety of the engine.
This made me think of the maintenance procedures for the primary (outer) air filter element.
I've always just tapped them out and looked to make sure I could see light coming through. Sometimes I've augmented this with a little compressed air, but I know that too much compressed air can damage them.
I had never heard of washing a paper element until I read it in the owner's manual for my Kubota L3830.
Here's what the manual has to say: "Clean the primary element: (1) When dry dust adheres to the element, blow compressed air from the inside, turning the element. Pressure of compressed air must be under 30 psi. (2) When carbon or oil adheres to the element, soak the element in detergent for 15 minutes then wash it several times in water, rinse with clean water and dry it naturally. After element is fully dried, inspect inside of the element with a light and check if it is damaged or not. (3) Replace air cleaner primary element: Once yearly or after every sixth cleaning, whichever comes first."
I've asked the mechanic at the Kubota dealer, and he didn't think it was a good idea to wash it.
The white paper of the filter gets dark quickly from soot because the exhaust pipe is so close to the air intake, but other than that, it doesn't get too dirty between inspection schedules.
So my question to all is: What's your opinion on washing the paper primary air filter element?

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #2  
I have washed the one(s) on our Kubota B2910 ... many times. I just recently purchased a new air filter (my third) to add into the rotation. Have about 1630 hours on the clock.

If you wash yours you might be amazed at how much crud comes out of it ... especially the amount of black soot.

On mine, it usually takes several wash/rinse cycles to get it reasonably clean.

BTW - I use liquid dish soap and warm water ... and avoid immersing the end with the hole to the interior of the filter.

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #3  
I have never done it. What I do is take a shop vacuum and run it all over the outside of the filter. This sucks out everything, and I think it is less likely to damage the filter. This I hold it up to the sun and check for holes.

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #4  
I have never done it. What I do is take a shop vacuum and run it all over the outside of the filter. This sucks out everything, and I think it is less likely to damage the filter. This I hold it up to the sun and check for holes.

^^^ I do the same.

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #5  
I don't wash mine, but if I were inclined to wash it, I would use a solvent like Naphtha rather than water/detergent. I don't think that would harm the paper like water and would clean grease and carbon off more efficiently.

I don't replace my filter every year either. In most instances, they will last much longer than that even under severe duty. As long as they aren't damaged and the internal filter stays clean, there really is no advantage to replacing them just because the time limit is up. It isn't the same thing as yearly oil changes because they don't get contaminated like oil.

If you are concerned about the little bit of soot making it black, then replace it if it makes you feel good but the little bit of soot is not hurting the filtering capacity of the filter.

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #6  
Outer filters are pretty cheap so I tap mine clean and blow it out a couple times and then change it. Occasionally I just change the outer and leave the inner alone. I figure that the damage that can be done from an errant piece of dirt is so severe that I don't want to save a few $$ on an outer air filter. Often I work in very dusty conditions so it's way more dirt than someone with just a filter with soot on it.

I'm not sure on this but think I read somewhere that cleaning with solvents was NOT recommended. Probably melts the synthetic media?

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #7  
Hey James, or one of the other vacuum/blow out guys, here's an experiment. Next time you replace your filter, vacuum it and blow it out like normal, then wash it in warm soapy water in a bucket. After the water has settled, see how much, if any material has been washed out.

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #8  
Hey James, or one of the other vacuum/blow out guys, here's an experiment. Next time you replace your filter, vacuum it and blow it out like normal, then wash it in warm soapy water in a bucket. After the water has settled, see how much, if any material has been washed out.

I'm already convinced t's worth a try. So I just blow it out a little bit and then slosh around in soapy water a couple times and then clear water?

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #9  
The reason I have never washed one, Is I don't want to wait for it to dry. I need to put the tractor up for the day, so I just vacuum it clean and re-install it. Just takes a few minutes. I don't operate in all that dusty conditions anyway, back here in the woods.

/ Do You Wash Your Paper Air Filter? #10  
I'm already convinced t's worth a try. So I just blow it out a little bit and then slosh around in soapy water a couple times and then clear water?

Yeah, blow it out or vacuum it like you normally would to clean it. Then wash it with soapy water. I think you could use a real soft bristle brush or your fingers to gently scrub it.