1947 Farmall M

/ 1947 Farmall M #1  

hobylobymarket

Tractor
Farmall M
Just got a 47 Farmall M. It needs an oil change desperately. Hasn't been changed in a year plus. No clue were the oil fill and drain are on it. I know that it doesn't have a dipstick, but that's about it.

/ 1947 Farmall M #2  
They never had dipsticks, unless somebody put a aftermarket dipstick in. The drain plug is right under the engine, but if you can't find the oil fill and drain, maybe you shouldn't be doing this kind of work. At least buy a manual, I guess.

/ 1947 Farmall M #3  
On the right side (when sitting in the seat) of the oil pan below the frame rails there should be two screws that kinda look like wing nuts with the ears flattened out. One will be about a 1/2" higher than the other. This is how you check the oil. When you refill the oil open the top one. When oil comes out the top one, you've got enough oil in it. (full). The bottom one is 'down' about a quart. Check DJ54s comments re; oil fill.

This site may help you with some data.
TractorData.com Farmall M tractor information

At 1:17 seconds you can see the two oil check taps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkc6bjY15rQ

More info on the 'M' and a place to get the shop manuals
Tractor Manual Search - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

Last edited:
   / 1947 Farmall M #4  
Here's a lube chart for your M. Arrows point to check, drain, and fill/grease points, and capacities.

A correction to the above mentioned fill point. On the H's & M's, there is a winged fill cap on the right side of the engine, at the front of the distributor drive. I've attached a pic of one on an H, but same location. All I've had/seen have a perforated piece of metal, to keep items from dropping into the timing gears. I'm sure some have been removed on some. If oil is poured in too quick, it can overflow. We have a 5 qt. oil can with a trigger that empty's pretty quick, and have had it do that, pouring in 30wt. in cooler weather. Out of quart bottles, probably not a worry, but thought I'd give you a heads up. Most of the time, once I start filling out of whatever, I'll put the opening of the bottle, or pour spout over the stud sticking up the cap screws down on, to slow the oil out of the container.

Click on the pic of the lube chart to enlarge. Right click on it, to print, and when it print's out, it will be a full size page print out.

Hope this helps..!!

Farmall M Lube Chart.jpgth (1).jpg