Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue

/ Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue #1  

Randyrandt

Tractor
cub cadet 7260
I have a 7260 with glow plug issues. I have changed the glow plugs and the relay, still no power to the glow plugs. I have checked the fuse box and I am getting any 0 volts to the glow plug fuse. I have checked the backside of the fuse box where the power comes into that fuse and the wire looks fine. Where should the power to that fuse be coming from? My wire diagram shows wire from the switch going to the glow lamp and then to the glow plugs. It does not show anything about the relay or fuse box. So right now, when I turn the key to the first position, the glow lamp does not come on and no power at the fuse box where the glow lamp fuse is. Any help would be appreciated .

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue #2  
From looking at the schematic for my FILs 7360, there is only power to the plugs when the plug relay is energized. The small (either 1.0A or 10A; can't read the fuzzy schematic) "Glow Plug" fuse is only for the indicator on the panel. The "main" plug power comes through the big 60A fuse that also feeds the alternator and feeds into the main glow plug relay. These big fuses are usually mounted near the battery and not in the regular fusebox. If it is out, you will be able to tell because it will also not be charging. Found this fuse in the Owner's Manual - it and the 50A "solenoid circuit" fuse are "line fuses" on the left side of the engine. Look like cubical items. The 50A is the RED one, 60A is yellow. Manual says they can be checked with an ohmmeter check for continuity and "see dealer to repair/replace."

I found the schematic on the last page of the service manual, and found the service manual for free download on-line, I think it was via Cub Cadet.com. The doc is a pdf, with docID/title of 770-0911a. I'd post it up here, but it's over 9,000 KB.

- Jay

PS - Welcome to the forum!! :welcome:

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue #3  
More info - Note that there is also a "Glow Timer" that is dependent on several other inputs like engine temp, and that are sometimes troublesome on these models of Cubs. The Glow Timer is what actually pulls in the glow plug relay, so if it is bad, nothing in the glow plug circuit will work. I think it is also a pricey part, so some opt to just bypass it and install a heavy-duty push button on the dash. We'll be doing that to the FILs over this winter.

Good luck with yours!

- Jay

/ Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue
Thanks Jay, Interesting you mention the alternator, because just before this started, the alternator light would flicker, but has since stayed on. I will find and check those fuses. If I find them to be fine, I will by pass the timer. Thanks again.

From looking at the schematic for my FILs 7360, there is only power to the plugs when the plug relay is energized. The small (either 1.0A or 10A; can't read the fuzzy schematic) "Glow Plug" fuse is only for the indicator on the panel. The "main" plug power comes through the big 60A fuse that also feeds the alternator and feeds into the main glow plug relay. These big fuses are usually mounted near the battery and not in the regular fusebox. If it is out, you will be able to tell because it will also not be charging. Found this fuse in the Owner's Manual - it and the 50A "solenoid circuit" fuse are "line fuses" on the left side of the engine. Look like cubical items. The 50A is the RED one, 60A is yellow. Manual says they can be checked with an ohmmeter check for continuity and "see dealer to repair/replace."

I found the schematic on the last page of the service manual, and found the service manual for free download on-line, I think it was via Cub Cadet.com. The doc is a pdf, with docID/title of 770-0911a. I'd post it up here, but it's over 9,000 KB.

- Jay

PS - Welcome to the forum!! :welcome:

/ Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue #5  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. Is that Riverview, NB?

/ Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue
Jay, thanks for the help. I had checked everything from the battery back and everything was fine. I found that the new glow relay was defective. They are sending out a replacement.

/ Cub Cadet 7260 glow plug issue #7  
Excellent! Glad you found it and have a fix.

- Jay