Pressure testing radiator

/ Pressure testing radiator
I have a Stant pressure test kit. Take a look at their website, the have many adapters available, and I have always been able to buy what I needed, for ATV, tractors, and what not.
It sometimes takes some work to find the right adapter. I try to find a stant part number for the cap replacement, then work from there.

Of course Stant does not list Kioti.

I did some more precise sniffing around. It seems that the smell is at the cap . I still do not get as to how you can smell the antifreeze but no liquid comes out. I guess it comes down to molecule size. I will try to get a new cap through Kioti or Napa.

/ Pressure testing radiator #13  
I did some more precise sniffing around. It seems that the smell is at the cap . I still do not get as to how you can smell the antifreeze but no liquid comes out. I guess it comes down to molecule size. I will try to get a new cap through Kioti or Napa.

Works the same way for farts...usually. :D

/ Pressure testing radiator #15  
If you have an Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone etc. they usually have tools you can borrow. First take the cap with you and test it there. This will confirm the cap is ok and they have the adapter to fit it.

If you have an Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone etc. they usually have tools you can borrow. First take the cap with you and test it there. This will confirm the cap is ok and they have the adapter to fit it.

Went to all three. They were useless. Not one of them had the adapters to test the cap or even knew they could test a cap. Off to the dealer.

Well I finally got a test adaptor to fit the radiator. I pumped it up to 13 psi which is spec. I pumped it to 13 and then it dropped to 10 psi after 24 hrs and seemed to hold. What is considered adequate time for a test? What about doing a hot test.? I would warm up the engine, relieve the pressure and then hook up the tester and pressurize. I figure a hot test might show a leak being things expand at diff rates. With the cold test I did not see any leaks. I still have the sweet smell when running. I just also ordered a new cap to try it out. Any input?

I just did another cold test. It is down to 10 psi after 7 hrs.

Last edited:
   / Pressure testing radiator #20  
You may loose a little pressure when the thermostat opens after its warm.