Reverser Problem John Deere 6200

/ Reverser Problem John Deere 6200 #1  

JohnDeere1983

Tractor
John Deere 6200
I have a 6200 with a 16 speed powerquad transmission and forward and backwards is not working. Every now and then it might work the reverser is very tight moving it back and forth and it use to not be that way. Clutch feels good. 1 through 4 you can feel shifting good all hydraulics are working to. ABCD feel good changing. I have changed the hydraulic oil and filters and didn't help.

/ Reverser Problem John Deere 6200 #2  
To me it sounds like the linkages might all be a bit worn and with all the clearances working against you the lever isn't able to move the linkage going into the transmission enough to complete the shift. I would follow the linkage for the reverser out of the cab and down to the transmission and where it goes into the transmission clear all the dirt and junk away and then start spraying the linkage with WD-40 while moving the lever back and forth. This will wash away rust and dirt and you should end up with a linkage that moves freely. Don't be scared to use the WD-40 liberally. I have "repaired" rusted up hydraulic cylinder controls just by doing this. There might also be a hydraulic hose or something of a similar nature that is hanging up the linkage and causing this problem too.

/ Reverser Problem John Deere 6200 #3  
:welcome:
To the forum From Northwest Alabama.

/ Reverser Problem John Deere 6200 #4  
JD parts shows both mechanical & electrical controlled reverser for a 6200

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 166
   / Reverser Problem John Deere 6200
You was right I sprayed the linkage down with penetrating oil and its working now and is easier to work. Thanks.

/ Reverser Problem John Deere 6200 #6  
You was right I sprayed the linkage down with penetrating oil and its working now and is easier to work. Thanks.

I had a similar problem which was also "fixed" by lubricating the linkages. The primary difference is I used Fluid Film...holds up much better then WD-40.
Now, lubrication of the reverser linkage, the gear shift and range linkages...heck, all the linkages...is part of my normal lubrication. When I grease the loader and tractor, I lubricate the linkages too...every 10-20 hours.

/ Reverser Problem John Deere 6200 #7  
I had a similar problem which was also "fixed" by lubricating the linkages. The primary difference is I used Fluid Film...holds up much better then WD-40.
Now, lubrication of the reverser linkage, the gear shift and range linkages...heck, all the linkages...is part of my normal lubrication. When I grease the loader and tractor, I lubricate the linkages too...every 10-20 hours.

Just hold it a bit here. My issue with fluid film is that it attracts and holds dust. Which is exactly what you don't want in this situation. I recommended WD-40 because it's cheap and the idea was to use it to wash away all the garbage while you are spraying WD-40 while working the linkage back and forth. Fluid film has it's place but it leaves a waxy film behind. I don't think you want that in this particular application because the wax collects dirt and the op will have the very same situation occurring again.