LS i3030H starter not engaging

/ LS i3030H starter not engaging #1  

okctractor

Tractor
LS i3030H
I was using my i3030h in the woods trying to clear all the dang greenbriar vine on the new property we just bought. I got a sapling that found its way behind the fan shroud and got caught by the fan. It squealed loudly, I quickly shut off the engine and noted some antifreeze on the tire. It appeared that the sapling pushed the lower radiator hose loose. I walked back to the house for a screwdriver and some water, replaced the hose, filled the radiator with water and went to start the engine. Glow plug lights and other typical lights came on, but when I turned the key to the start position, nothing happens. I double checked that I did not have the PTO engaged and other typical things like fuses, but can't find anything. I tried again this morning (without earplugs in my ears) and could here a slight sszzzt sound for a second when I turned the key to start. The sound seems to be right behind the dashboard. I wouldn't think a hose off the radiator and this non-start issue are related, but what do I know. Anyone have any ideas?

/ LS i3030H starter not engaging #2  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. You might check the wiring around where the sapling was to be sure it didn't knock anything loose.

/ LS i3030H starter not engaging
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. You might check the wiring around where the sapling was to be sure it didn't knock anything loose.

I did look around the entire engine compartment and there is nothing that I notice that appears loose. In the area of the starter, the LS folks locked all of those wires down very tight and nothing appears loose. The radiator outlet was on the other side of engine block, but hard to say how that sapling got whipped around.

/ LS i3030H starter not engaging
I got the tractor running today. The sszzzt sound that I was hearing was a bit of a mystery, but once I started tearing the dash apart I found the starter relay. I tried the key again with my finger on the relay and confirmed that was where the noise was coming from. I pulled the connector from the relay and jumped the two biggest wires with a pair of pliers and it turned right over and started. I have no idea why the starter relay decided to go bad at the exact time of my "sapling in the fan" event as they would not seem to be related in anyway. Oh well, at least I was able to get it out of the woods. It would not have been pretty trying to get it towed from where it was.

/ LS i3030H starter not engaging #5  
Glad you found out what the problem was. I am like you, I hate when something completely unrelated goes wrong at the same time as something else because it lead you in the wrong direction.