No float FEL

/ No float FEL #1  

rims421

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland tc- 35
Have cub 7275 with stock loader. The float function on the joy stick will not work. Pushing the stick all the way forward is supossed to be float position. However all it will do is continue to lower bucket till it is maxed out.
Any suggestions?

/ No float FEL #2  
Rims,
When you say "max out" do you mean it will go down till it lifts the front wheels off of the ground or just go down till it hits the ground?
If it just goes down till it hits the ground this is what it is supposed to do. It will lower the bucket down and allow the weight of the bucket and arms to "float" on the ground, which is great for backdragging rough areas to smooth them out for things like roads and landscaping. The bucket will float up and down knocking down high spots and filling in low spots. If you have a bucket full of dirt it will add more weight to the "float" allowing you to control how aggressive of a backdrag you want.
Hope this helps and if I am wrong the actual experts here will be sure to let you know!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ No float FEL #3  
After reading many of the comments about FEL float, I tried it on my TC18 yesterday. Since I've never had to plow snow, and generally use a box blade for leveling, I never tried it before. But, the bottom line is, if my 12LA loader has a float position, I can't find it. If I push the lever all the way forward, I have a nice view of the sky because the front end is off the ground. I tried a whole bunch of combinations, and all I succeeded in doing was gouging the heck out of the section of the yard where I was playing.

/ No float FEL #4  
I know that getting my 410 JD FEL to float takes a little bit of technique. I really have to quickly throw the joystick forward to get into the float position. If I don't use the correct amount of force and do it with a quick motion, I only succeed in raising the front of the tractor off the ground. If I try to get it to float, but only push the bucket down, I can't achieve float without raising the FEL back up and trying again.
My description makes it sound like a pain, but it's very simple to do on my machine. You just have to push the lever forward firmly and quickly. On mine, you actually feel a little click or pop when the joystick actually reaches the float position.

/ No float FEL #5  
I ran into this when I first got my JD.

Heath described it accurately. You need to push joy stick quicker and with more force than seems natural, but that is what it takes.

I use it all the time when plowing snow, but it also comes in handy for other work.

Good Luck

Bob

/ No float FEL #7  
I "float" my loader everytime I park the tractor in the barn. Once it's leveled and gently lowered to the concrete, I "pop" the joystick forward (it's about a four inch pop) and she floats.

The float position is outside the normal, square range of loader positioning.

/ No float FEL
Thanks for the info I will try moving the lever quickly with more force. The other machines I have used were not setup like that. I will let you know how I makeout.

/ No float FEL #9  
Well, duh! 330 hours on the the thing, and I learned a new trick. I popped it forward, and I sure enough have float! And, no problems with it staying in place. Not sure where I'll use it, but I'll give it a try the next time it might seem appropriate. Thanks for edjamacating me...

/ No float FEL #10  
One purpose of making them harder to get in to foat position is the possibility of gettie the bucket and contents into freefall.

If you put the loader into float it will come down very quickly.

be careful ou there

Dane