home hvac problem / question

/ home hvac problem / question #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Trane unit, compressor outside, air handler in garage, etc. Unit runs on cool fine, shift to heat, and shortly the digital thermostat goes blank, and a 5a fuse blows in what appears to be a 24vac transformer circuit near a big relay in the air handler.

I'd just like to sound Intelligent when I call the repairman, vs like a sheep. Don't want him to tell me my turbo encabulator is bad and i need a whole new unit ;)

History: Unit 15 ys old, otherwise ok shape. Filter each month, has had checkups every couple years. Has been thru 1 cap and fan motor outside, plus had the a coil removed and cleaned once after a cheap filter disintegrated plugging a coil. Ac comes right on, cools good.

Thanks for some ideas

/ home hvac problem / question #2  
I believe the major change from heat to cool in a heat pump is just the reversing valve. is that in line with the fuse that blows? It is a solenoid control. But I think Trane releases it for heat. IE in needs to be energized to cool. To eliminate it unwire it and put it in heat and see if it still trips. How cold is it there? Is it possible it is cold enough for your electric backup/emergency heat to be coming on?
Does the compressor come on before it trips?

/ home hvac problem / question #3  
My first thought would be to look at the thermostat for proper functioning. If you are familiar with a multi-meter shut off power and ohm the transformer to see if it is shorting out.

/ home hvac problem / question #4  
Trane unit, compressor outside, air handler in garage, etc. Unit runs on cool fine, shift to heat, and shortly the digital thermostat goes blank, and a 5a fuse blows in what appears to be a 24vac transformer circuit near a big relay in the air handler.

I'd just like to sound Intelligent when I call the repairman, vs like a sheep. Don't want him to tell me my turbo encabulator is bad and i need a whole new unit ;)

History: Unit 15 ys old, otherwise ok shape. Filter each month, has had checkups every couple years. Has been thru 1 cap and fan motor outside, plus had the a coil removed and cleaned once after a cheap filter disintegrated plugging a coil. Ac comes right on, cools good.

Thanks for some ideas

Is there a schematic in the door? If so, take a picture of it and post it.
The reversing valve would be a good place to start, if it's sticking, the solenoid would over amp. Most of them de-energize to heat, but some in the southland energize to heat.

/ home hvac problem / question #5  
Can you go to emergency heat only?

/ home hvac problem / question #6  
My first thought would be to look at the thermostat for proper functioning. If you are familiar with a multi-meter shut off power and ohm the transformer to see if it is shorting out.

That would be my first check too and the wiring that completes that circuit.

/ home hvac problem / question #7  
Could be a chafed wire or bad solenoid... any rodents enjoying a warm motel room in your condenser?

/ home hvac problem / question #9  
Soundguy, your thingamajig is shorting out the whatchamacallit and it will cost you mega bux to replace with a new unit that will only last about a year or so with its' lifetime warrantee. (Whos lifetime?) The lifetime of the faulty parts installed to begin with.

Seriously, I would look at the thermostat first.

/ home hvac problem / question #10  
Hey daves1708, I just replaced that relay(contactor) on my heat pump a couple of months ago. Fairly easy fix at $28.