Silver Member

Default shear bolt grades

I sent a family member to the hardware store to get a few extra shear bolts for my snowblower. The manual calls for grade 2. They came back with 8.8 metric bolts. That's all they had in the size I needed but I thought 8.8 was equal to a grade 5. Who's right, here ?

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: shear bolt grades

If you like your tractor an implements.. you should only use grade 2 shear bolts... Unles sthe manual specifically calls for somehting else.

If that hardware store only has grade 5.. shop elsewhere.. your tractor is to expensive to let a 50 cent bolt rip the rear end out of it..

Soundguy

Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

You are right, an 8.8 metric is equal to a grade 5 SAE. If your manual calls for grade 2 SAE then that's what you should use.

I have a tiller that calls for 8.8 shear bolts and it came with a package of 4 spares. I've had to use one spare so far (3 years).

Silver Member

I might add that the original shear bolt had a triangle stamped on the head. In metric terms that must have been equal to a grade 2. It's the first one I've ever seen. Last winter I caught a rock and stalled the tractor, the bolt did not shear off ! The assembly was rusted tight. I cleaned it up and lubed everthing. The bottom line is ; make sure those parts are free to move or the shear bolt is useless. Same for a slip clutch. If the clutch packs are rusted or frozen they can't work.That's why you don't see slip clutches on snowblowers.