jd 4300 transmission fluid

/ jd 4300 transmission fluid #1  

steviep

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 JD 4300
My 2001 , 4300 has been starting hard in the cold weather. If I warm it up after a few minutes it will start right up I am thinking maybe it's time to change out the transmission oil .it's been about 200 hrs sense the last change. I use this tractor more in the fall and winter for firewood and snow removal. Can anyone recommend a good oil, I have a tractor supply plus a Napa near me.

/ jd 4300 transmission fluid #2  
Is it a hydro? I would stick with John Deere Hyguard, but if you go for another brand, you need an oil that is suited for hydro transmissions.

/ jd 4300 transmission fluid
Sorry forgot to mention it is gears

/ jd 4300 transmission fluid #4  
If last time you changed it you used hygard or low vis hygard, then 200 hours is much sooner than necc. Unless it took 10 years to get that 200 hours. For wintertime use low vis would be the better of the two.

I do know it's been about 2 years and I changed it in late spring, early summer. I also bought it at napa , so I went with what they sold me and I did not look at the velocity. Do they usually put the temperature on the 5 gallon cans.

/ jd 4300 transmission fluid #6  
For an engine starting problem I think you should be focusing on your fuel system, not your hydraulic system.

When was the last time you serviced your fuel/water separator and filter?

I serviced the fuel this fall just before winter. I do have a block heater on it but if I put a small heater blowing under the back within 5 minutes I can start it right up.

Last edited:
   / jd 4300 transmission fluid #8  
Hmm... I had to ask about the filters because a lot of owners seem to forget they are there. I'm going to turn my attention away from the fuel system now that you mentioned the space heater.

This engine in the 4300...Yanmar 3TNE84? It appears to use an electric air heater instead of glow plugs. How long are you pushing in the key for cold starts?

From an online manual:
1. Activate the intake air heater system by pushing in on the key switch.

. Hold key in 10-15 seconds for temps above 0F
. Hold key in 30 seconds for temps 0F to -10F
. Hole key in 45 seconds for temps below -10F

If you are doing the above, it sounds like the air heating element may be at fault.

Before last year I never had to use heat, the heater box, or a block heater. It just turns over slower when it gets really cold out. 30 or above and no problem.

/ jd 4300 transmission fluid #10  
There's lots of issues that can creep up on a 14-year-old diesel tractor that would contribute to a cold starting problem. I just don't think changing 200 hour-old hydraulic fluid is going to help any.