Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid

/ Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid #1  

ETpilot

Gold Member
I've been having a starter problem for a while now. I get a nothing or a click then nothing while trying to start. This was intermittent as the problem would clear itself. Thursday it happened again and I decided to fix it for good. This time it did not clear itself. I tapped the starter solenoid n engine started. I then removed the FEL to have good work acess. All troubleshooting on tractor pointed to a bad solenoid. I removed the starter n bench checked it. Sure enough solenoid would work for a few times then hang up with a click or nothing at all.

This is a Lucas starter n I am not familiar with this starter. My question is are the parts for this starter/solenoid common n easily found? Or do I have to research n see if I can find parts? I am looking for the solenoid contacts n plunger. Or maybe a whole new solenoid, the motor is still good n strong. The part numbers are: starter motor 54257610 solenoid 77228A. If someone can post a parts breakdown I'd appreciate it and any source for parts. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,959
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 4,863
   / Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid #2  
Curious to see an answer as well. My 3910 has done the nothing thing a couple times. I want to replace the solenoid before it quits me out in the timber. I figured I'd take my alternator/solenoid to the local O'Reilly's store and see if they can get me a replacement solenoid. Last resort would be go to the local CNH dealership.

/ Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid #3  
these starters are called m50 by lucas they were several application all depending on engine and how it fit on engine the number of your starter is 26211 the number you have that starts with 5425 is the drive end housing your starter has a lot of years on it probably better to get new one very low priced i see your in east texas if you are close to college station call billy sharpe phone number 979-775-9800 he will have it in stock he used to have a shop also in tyler will have to ask him

/ Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid
Mitch, thanks for the info. I will look into this today, if possible. Under a winter ice/sleet warning today. Thanks again.

/ Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid #5  
yes i know my has been in dallas since friday going to a wedding she is checking now to see if her flight will get her back to atlanta tonight

I hope she made it home. Not fun getting stuck at an airport. Many Dallas flights cancelled. My tractor sits outside iced over. I moved my ready heater over to the shop. I plan to use it to keep me warm as I reinstall the starter. Hopefully tomorrow.

This is what I did re: starter. I found some info and good prices online but cannot wait for regular delivery. Fast delivery equals almost to local prices. Ford dealer, new solenoid $102 rebuilt starter $192. So I checked with Napa Auto Parts, new solenoid $72 so I went with Napa, local in town. Dealer is over an hour away plus weather was to get bad.

Solenoid is mounted to starter awaiting going back on tractor. These solenoids are not designed for contact replacement. The new one is sealed and the old one did not come apart. I think you have to desolder the wires to get it apart. Anyway, I tore it apart to look inside. See the pictures. The pictures may help others that are researching this problem. To connect the solenoid to the engagement lever, you have to push to depress the spring n clip while the rectangle arm is slid over the engagement arm. Took me 2 tries to get it on. The wooden dowel in picture represents the engagement arm. The old contacts are really worn. I was lucky to get it started to get the FEL off. Anyway, hope this helps someone else.

Again, thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 857
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 987
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 1,117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 2,195
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 17,117
   / Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid #7  
One thing to keep in mind with this system - there is a relay that operates the solenoid. It is just a standard automotive SPDT relay (5$ at any auto parts store). Not likley to be the OP's problem, but definitely the first thing I would rule out if having problems with the starter engaging.

One thing to keep in mind with this system - there is a relay that operates the solenoid. It is just a standard automotive SPDT relay (5$ at any auto parts store). Not likley to be the OP's problem, but definitely the first thing I would rule out if having problems with the starter engaging.

I didn't know that the system has a relay. I never looked at the wiring diagram. Will have to check that. Good to know but it was not my problem. Trigger wire had plenty of power for starting. So wire n switch tested good. Starter failed during bench test. BTW, as Mitch pointed out, this starter has had a good n long service life. Changing only the solenoid is good if the motor tests good. It's a risk. Motor could fail tomorrow. My motor is strong n engine starts instantly when engaged. So the solenoid was a good route for me IMO.

/ Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid #9  
I've been all over my wiring doing other projects and I've not saw a relay. I'll have to check that closer. Mine has only failed a couple times and on the second try it's always started. Thanks for the update and the info with pics.

/ Ford 4610 Starter/Solenoid #10  
The starter looks like many on tractors with British origin as "Lucas" would suggest.
Some Fords came from the UK. Nuffields/Leyland, David Brown.
The ones I have had did not have a secondary relay but did have a simple tough ignition switch and neutral safety switch.
Dave M7040