6 volt battery jump starter

/ 6 volt battery jump starter
I contacted schumacher and they recommended a charger that could start 6 volts.

This weekend as long as it is warm enough in am going to be pulling the battery wires to replace them.

Then, I'm going to start tracing every other wire and see how many have been eaten by the mice.

And then if I haven't already pulled all of my hair out, I have a rebuild kit for the starter.

Or maybe I will just replace the battery cables and then go have a beer.

/ 6 volt battery jump starter #22  
I contacted schumacher and they recommended a charger that could start 6 volts.

--- I have one made by Sears, it has a 6 and 12 volt jump start but again it is a bandade for the overall electrical system shortfalls.

This weekend as long as it is warm enough in am going to be pulling the battery wires to replace them.

--- Make sure to make the cable larger than normal, remember 6volts draws more current than 12 volts and required larger cable to carry the required amperage. I'm thinking 2 gauge or "0" cabling.

Then, I'm going to start tracing every other wire and see how many have been eaten by the mice.

And then if I haven't already pulled all of my hair out, I have a rebuild kit for the starter.

--- Rebuilding the starter shouldnt be a hair pulling event. Take your Tim, clean everything, make sure to get the carbon from between all the small section of the commutator and the larger portion of the armature assembly and clean the inside of the housing, all stated before.

Or maybe I will just replace the battery cables and then go have a beer.

The beer is a great idea, take your time is the main thing and don't forget to replace the brushes and watch the tension of the Brush Retaining Springs.

Good Luck

/ 6 volt battery jump starter #23  
Don't forget to take a good, long, hard look at your voltage regulator. A bad one will discharge a battery overnight.

And now that it is only 20° this morning, and I would be working in an unheated barn, the beer is going to win out.

I hate working without gloves in weather this cold.

Oh well. Next weekend is another chance to do it.

/ 6 volt battery jump starter #25  
And now that it is only 20° this morning, and I would be working in an unheated barn, the beer is going to win out.

I hate working without gloves in weather this cold.

Oh well. Next weekend is another chance to do it.

I know what you mean, I've frost nipped all my fingers at some time or another.
Things will get warmer by Labour Day weekend.:)

And since I'm not that bright, I spent the day outside trying to rebuild a starter.

Brrrrrr!

/ 6 volt battery jump starter #27  
So...

I have a couple of tractors that are still 6 volt systems and have a bit of an issue starting up. The batteries are under two years old, get charged before starting, but still have a problem turning the tractors over.

Has anyone seen (recently) a jump starter for a 6 volt system? I have been looking at engine starters but they all warn against using the engine start feature in 6 volt systems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

My company has developed a new 6V jumpstarter with very high cold cranking amps. It is capacitor based and recharges instantly. If anyone here would like me to send a free unit in exchange for user feedback please reply on the thread or send me an email. kokeeffe@maxxstart.com IMG_5005.JPG

/ 6 volt battery jump starter #28  
boblibido,
Me again, talking out of my hat again !
How did you make out ?
What did you do, if anything ?
Keeping an older tractor up and running can be a pain and costly !
Hope all turned out well !