TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ?

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ? #1  

OhioCowboy

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK3510se HST Open Station w/FEL, RK24 HST w/FEL & Backhoe, DEAD-NH TC33D HST
This has happened twice this winter. Both times air temp was below 5 degrees. I started the tractor but the shaft/pulley with the radiator fan on it does not turn. The belt is loose enough to let it slip. The first time I heated up the engine compartment with the torpedo heater for a couple of minutes and it worked fine. The second time I twisted the pulley back and forth 3-4 times and it started turning normally again. Antifreeze is over 50% so I don't think it's frozen water in the pump. No noise like a bearing going bad. Anyone had a similar experience or have an idea what's going on? Thanks

Paul

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ? #2  
This has happened twice this winter. Both times air temp was below 5 degrees. I started the tractor but the shaft/pulley with the radiator fan on it does not turn. The belt is loose enough to let it slip. The first time I heated up the engine compartment with the torpedo heater for a couple of minutes and it worked fine. The second time I twisted the pulley back and forth 3-4 times and it started turning normally again. Antifreeze is over 50% so I don't think it's frozen water in the pump. No noise like a bearing going bad. Anyone had a similar experience or have an idea what's going on? Thanks

Paul

Sounds like the water in the system froze. Check your antifreeze.

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ?
That's what I thought too. But all the hoses were soft (not frozen I figured) and the radiator was full and green. Last Fall I had to replace a hose on the radiator and I put 3 quarts of antifreeze in (full strength) the radiator when I refilled. I was told the cooling system is 4.2 qts total. In the past I have always used 50/50 mixture with no problems. I'll have to watch it this spring to see if it repeats the problem when freezing wouldn't be an issue.
Thanks.

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ? #4  
Did you loosen the belt when the noise started? Did you suspect water pump bearings? They make plenty of noise. Did you try it briefly with the belt removed?
Suspect the alternator? Belts also can be noisy, though maybe not over the clatter of a diesel running. A long piece of steel rod or screwdriver held against your ear and the suspected noise source can tell a lot. Carefully of course.
Jim

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ?
The engine starts ok. The problem is that the engine is running but the water pump shaft isn't turning. The belt is slipping while the engine runs. I shut it down right away to save the belt and pulley. I'm trying to figure out why the pump isn't turning. I don't think it's frozen water in the system with 75% antifreeze mixture. After I got it running again (first time by heating and second time by grabbing the pulley on the water pump and twisting back and forth until it moved), I didn't hear any noise from the pump (like a bearing-I've replaced a few of them on my cars and trucks when I started hearing the bearings going)
I just can't think it can be anything else but the pump though.
Thanks

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ? #6  
tighten the belt

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ? #7  
WP bearing. Ball is hanging up the shaft, but will loosen up with hand pressure back and forth. Take the belt off and spin the pump, I bet you hear it then.
Jim

/ TC33D Water Pump Going Bad or ? #9  
If the bearing is starting to go, tension from the belt will stop it from turning, remove the belt, no tension and it turns.
Replace the pump.