Where to buy a metric bolt

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #1  

montero1dfw

Tractor
Deutz D6207
Hi,
I am trying to find a M20 x 2.0 x 110 bolt. I can find this bolt in 2.5 or 1.5 thread pitch but have been unable to find a 2.0 thread pitch. This bolt is use on a Deutz D6207 to bolt a Bushhog brand loader to the tractor block. I can buy a Die with the correct pitch and try to rethread a bolt but I would much prefer find the correct bolt. Does anybody know I where I could find this.

thanks

Mike

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #3  
My local nut/bolt store has them, as does my well stocked ACE hardware...

Have you called around??

SR

/ Where to buy a metric bolt
Hi, thanks for the reply's. Today I went to Fastenal, Hix Brothers Kubota, Thompson machinery (Cat), Tractor Supply and I just tried McMaster-Carr (thanks for the suggestion downsizingnow48). I can find 2.5 pitch and 1.5 pitch but I cant find a 2.0 pitch.

thanks,
mike

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #6  
Are you sure it is a 2.0 pitch? Fastenal doesn't carry them and Google couldn't find them either. It would be a M20 fine thread but, as you found, course and extra fine seem to be the standard. I don't have my machinery handbook at home but my guess is that it is specially made. You may have to have it ordered from the dealer or have one made by a local machine shop.

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #7  
Checked the Machinery's Handbook. There is no such bolt as a M20x2.0. The pitches listed for a M20 are 2.5, 1.5 and 1.0

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #8  
I did find some M20x2.0 bolts but the longes mcmastercarr listed was 60mm.

They must make them. Cause they make taps and dies in that size. But when something is this uncommon and hard to find, double check to make sure it is indeed an M20x2.0. How did you come to that conclusion in the first place?

May have to call a dealer and see if they can get a mount bolt for you?

I Wouldnt buy a die and change a bolt to 2.0. Instead, I'd drill/tap the tractor to a more common size. IF you ever need another bolt, it will be easier next time. And drilling and tapping a soft cast housing is gonna be alot easier IMO than trying to re-cut threads on a pretty hard bolt.

If you do decide to buy a die and change a bolt, dont try to force the 2.0 threads over whatever you buy. Instead, buy a bolt that is longer than you need. Cut the threads off. Then thread the shank. May need access to a lathe to turn down the shank a bit tho.

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #9  
A couple comments: I had to drill a couple holes on a 6206 one time, I think that was some of the hardest steel I ever drilled!!

Assuming the needed bolt isn't soft, ever thread a hard bolt?? That's NOT easy to do either, so that's something I'd be watching out for.

I never needed that bolt on any of the Deutz I've owned, but if I did and couldn't find one at a nut/bolt place, I'd be calling used tractor salvage yards, or a Deutz dealer. I wouldn't expect it to be a "cheap" priced bolt, no matter where you find one.

Lastly, I put a loader on the 62-06 that I owned for many years and I don't remember the bolts to be spl. or hard to get, loader or otherwise??

Try calling this place, 231 924 3420, ask for Peter.

SR

/ Where to buy a metric bolt #10  
I rather suspect that you have mis-diagnosed the thread pitch if you cant find the pitch that you think it is.