Reality set in....

/ Reality set in.... #1  

RobertO

Well, I have my father's old Allis-Chalmers 5020 OR I can buy a brand new Jinma. Well, after buying the land, a new pickup, etc.... I have decided that old AC is looking pretty darn good. Where can I buy front tires for this thing? Also, where can I get an owners manual for it? I bought the shop manual, but is probably more than I need. What maintenance would you recommend doing to it. I figure it needs an oil change, transmission fluid change, hydraulic fluid change, I know the radiator needs re-bored as it overheats when mowing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, do you tune-up a diesel? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Everything works on this tractor, but it deserves a little TLC for all it has done.
What fluid additives do you recommend? It is in the Houston, Tx area, so cold weather is a non-issue. Heat IS an issue in August /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Reality set in.... #2  
Get a manual (Allis is part of the Agco group now, any Agco [Gleaner, Allis, White/MM/Oliver, Simplicity, New Idea, Massy, and about 10 other) dealer should be able to get you one, as well as Agco on the 'net.

Follow the manual for fluids, do not rely on any of us for that!!! Some tractors share tranny & hyd fluid, and if you put the wrong stuff in the tranny is shot. If you don't like the high prices of fluids at the dealer, you can cross-reference it to a generic oil sold at a farm supply store - the fine print on the jug will tell you what it crosses to.

Diesels need the fuel filter changed regularly, and otherwise you don't need a typical gas engine 'tune-up' every year, but they need much more extensive fuel system 'tune-ups' every 3-7,000 hours......

Be sure to pay attention to the antifreeze, diesels tend to cavitate (vibration & old fluid causes pinholes in the cyl wall) if the ph in the antifreeze is wrong - low silicate & ph balancers are a good idea in some models not sure on Allis.

You might want to ask around on parts - I remember my neighborhood mechanic needed to do a major engine overhaul on one of these, & he was having a very difficult time getting some of the major engine parts - like a 3 month wait & counting. I do not know this for a fact, but something to consider down the road...

--->Paul

/ Reality set in.... #3  
not real familar with this tractor, but i am sure that any pllace that seels tractor tires will be able to put something on the front that will coincide with the rears, and as u stated change all the fluids.about the radiator, did u mean re-cored?

/ Reality set in.... #4  
I'm not familiar with the AC 5020, but if it is two wheel drive, you should be able to put just about any tractor tire on the front that will fit the wheel. Tractor dealers or tire shops that handle agricultural tires should be able to fix you up. If it is 4WD, you need to make sure that the outside diameter (rolling circumference) of the new tire is the same as the original tire to avoid building up stresses in the transfer case and transmission that can be damaging.

You might try eBay for the operator's manual -- never know who might have one they are looking to sell.

On the radiator, before you pull it off the tractor, you might try blowing compressed air from the back (fan) side -- maybe it is just plugged with seeds and trash. If that doesn't work, you could pull it and take it to a radiator shop. They should be able to boil it out and pressure test it. If necessary, they may be able to install a new core, using your existing top and bottom tanks.

Good Luck. Sounds like a fun project if you are mechanically inclined /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

/ Reality set in.... #6  
I can supply you manuals for your tractor.

/ Reality set in.... #7  
for your tires .... call Gensco -- 713-741-1090 -- they sell aircraft tires for implements. They provided me with tires & wheels for the front of an old 8n I had -- no more flats from mesquite. They're at 4300 Old Spanish Trail - I think it's off the south loop.

/ Reality set in.... #8  
RobertO,

Three thoughs appeared in my mind when I read your post:

First, RobertO was my grandfathers name... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Second: Man, do I hate it when reality sets in!

<font color="red"> And perhaps the most important:</font> Any way to retrofit a ROPS & seatbelt to the old tractor? I assume it does not have them...

You can always get a new tractor. Buying the land was the best thing you could do at this point ( in my experience). Seems like we always look back and think "if I had only bought more acres..." which really equates to 'boy, I'm really glad I bought what I did when I did!"

/ Reality set in.... #9  
RobertO,
I agree with Casimir on the radiator problem. Tractors normally get a lot of debris between the radiator fins, and that can cause overheating. I'm in a warmer climate, so I usually clean the radiator by spraying gently with a garden hose. The debris will normally wash out easily. It certainly beats having to take the radiator off and pay for re-boring.

You'll probably need to flush out the system, though. Let us know how it works out!

/ Reality set in.... #10  
I would really suggest the allis- you may recall I posted before that i owned the similar Massey 210-4 ;almost identical to the allis in question. Len Shaeffer is the source for manuals, for sure. the radiator is no big deal- and filters, injectors etc can all be sourced from NAPA once you know the right numbers.

Here is how I look at the two tractors - the Allis is already depreciated. Nearly anything you spend on it you can recover when and if you sell it. The Jinma on the other hand will depreciate like a rock in a pond. Just for fun you should run an ad in the local paper for a slightly used Jinma. Price it 20% less than you are going to buy new. Watch the phone as it is silent.

After a few years of service (and maybe repair) from the Allis, you will probably have a better idea what you need, and maybe more money. Then you can buy a name brand new tractor that will give you years of faithful service.