L2250 Front Axle Bearing

/ L2250 Front Axle Bearing #1  

guyvstewart

Tractor
Kubota L2250DL
Need help with the removal of the bearing in the front axle on a Kubota L2250DL. I had to remove both right and left axle assembles, and am now trying to remove the bearing (REF #130), form the axel housing. It is held in with a split circular ring (REF#120). I can't figure out to get the split ring out, short of getting my dremel out and cutting it. Any ideas on what tools needed or how to get it out?

Attachments

• KUBOTA CIR CLIP.jpg
    KUBOTA CIR CLIP.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 3,274
   / L2250 Front Axle Bearing #2  
Seems like the gear retains the clips so if you have the gear off it should come out easily.

Been a while since I done one, but it came apart real easy.

/ L2250 Front Axle Bearing
No, the clip is holding the coller, thrust coller, and bearing. You can't get any of the parts out without getting the clip out.

/ L2250 Front Axle Bearing #4  
if it doesn't have ears for snap ring pliers use a pick or real small screwdriver

/ L2250 Front Axle Bearing #5  
Is there a very large gap at the split in the snap ring? I have snap ring pliers that will get into the groove depending on the size. Others it's been fighting it out with a small screwdriver or knife tip. My Larger L5740 has a 2 piece ring that is covered by a recess in the gear so when the gear is pushed on it locks the ring halves in their groove. When I slid the gear off the ring halves literally fell out. By the illustration they are virtually identical but yours does call out a circlip while mine calls the 2 halves collars.

Is there a very large gap at the split in the snap ring? I have snap ring pliers that will get into the groove depending on the size. Others it's been fighting it out with a small screwdriver or knife tip. My Larger L5740 has a 2 piece ring that is covered by a recess in the gear so when the gear is pushed on it locks the ring halves in their groove. When I slid the gear off the ring halves literally fell out. By the illustration they are virtually identical but yours does call out a circlip while mine calls the 2 halves collars.

There is a gap of about 1/32 between the split ring halves. I have already broken two small screwdriver tips trying to pry it out. I tried to open up one of the gaps to try to use something a bit bigger but the ring won't budge. I'm at a loss. The dremel is looking better and better the more I work on this thing.

Attachments

• Split ring (1).jpg
    Split ring (1).jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Split ring (2).jpg
    Split ring (2).jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
   / L2250 Front Axle Bearing #7  
Put the dremel down............... It can be disassembled.

The pic looks like you may have to press the bearing on to free it.

/ L2250 Front Axle Bearing #8  
You never did answer if the gear was counter bored to retain the clips????

Something is counter bored to retain them. I am assuming you are doing this due to failed bearings????

Oh, cutting it will not help as it is already in 2 pieces...........

Ok, for those of you that ever run into this problem, here is the way to get the split ring out.

First a little rant. I have been using IPB's (Illustrated Parts Breakdown), for a large number of years, and normally the way the parts are shown is the way the come apart or go back together. NOT this time. The only way to remove the split ring (REF #120) is to remove the collar (REF #110). End of rant.

All you need to do is slip a screwdriver under the collar and pry or twist and the collar slips right off the split rings. Everything else just sort of falls apart except the oil seal, and it just takes a few taps with a punch and out it comes also.

And as my wife so eloquently put it, if I had paid the $150.00 for the service manual, she wouldn’t have had to listen to me grumblin’ and mumbling’ around the house for four day. Yes, I am now ordering the manual.

Attachments

• KUBOTA CIR CLIP.jpg
    KUBOTA CIR CLIP.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,246
  • front axle (1).jpg
    front axle (1).jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 352
  • front axle (2).jpg
    front axle (2).jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 247
  • front axle (3).jpg
    front axle (3).jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
   / L2250 Front Axle Bearing #10  
Like I told ya, they are easy to get a part but something retains the split ring.

On mine it is the gear, and I guess yours is that ring.

That is quite a feat of engineering on those hubs.