John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane

/ John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane #11  
Jay, manuals are on the way to you

Joe

/ John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane
I got the manuals that is so cool thanks so Much.

My curiosity is getting to me and I'm wondering if that cup in the bottom is actually designed to hold back fluid? That's where mine is leaking from and I know it got damaged when it sat on the concrete, installation of the cup requires John Deere TY15941 adhesive, so I'll try and give it a shot.

/ John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane #13  
Hopefully it is just the cap or plug that is leaking. I have looked at my repair manual, and find at least two sets of part numbers, probably depending on the serial number of the tractor and whether the axle shaft is fastened with snap rings (like mine) or large nut, , but I think the cap/plug is the same. The rotating housing contains the shafts/gears that transmit the power from the differential shafts to the wheel spindle. I'd guess the bottom is open so that it can be machined and assembled. It is definitely containing the oil, as that is what lubes the shafts and bearings all the way out to the wheel hub. There is a pipe plug (5mm hex wrench) at the bottom inside of that housing for draining the oil from that lower reservoir. While your at it, change all the oil, which means the two bottom plugs, and the one in the middle under the differential. Loosening the filler plug to allow the pressure to escape is a good idea, but a bit messy, and so I made it into a breather cap, and bought a spare to check the level. I had seen some other threads suggesting that the pressure build up as the oil warms up could be causing the seals to leak.

Very true never thought about the drain plug being right there at the bottom, so you are right it has to contain the oil.

/ John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane #15  
Not exactly the drain plug but a large snap in cover. Mine fell out for some reason and dumped all the lube on the snow. Noticed the black stain the next pass with the plow, then saw the cover.
Simply a case of cleaning, drying and installing the new cover along with some locktite to seal it.
If it had fallen off in the bush and I not noticed the oil I might have driven for days with a dry axle...

/ John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane #16  
jayohio - any news on that cover?

Yes, the cover was the problem, fixed it right up. Then the other side starts leaking thru the actual seal. I haven't tackled that yet. How ironic

/ John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane #18  
Oh, what lousy luck. Is the other side the axle hub seal, or the seal near the top of the steering knuckle? You've seen my threads and others on the axle seal, but I haven't any experience on the knuckle seal. But, you now have the repair manual and can have a look. For sure, I'd try it myself and save the repair cost. The seal can't be much, and unless there was some damage the bearings and gears should be in good shape.

It's the one near the top of the knuckle, I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens

/ John Deere 4300 about to make me insane in the membrane #20  
Just wondering if you tackled that seal yet, and how it went? Looks like a simple seal replacement, but maybe a lot of disassembly to get to it.