OK I have it apart - what else should do?

/ OK I have it apart - what else should do? #1  

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
This past weekend I had to disassemble my ZTR to put in a new blade clutch. This is 1997 machine (Deines) that I have owned since it was new. It has about 850 hours on it. Kohler Command engine. Working on the engine is fairly difficult while it is all assembled especially with my big hands.

Is there anything I should do besides a normal complete cleaning while I have the engine out of this unit? In general it all looks really good except it was dirty and I was able to get the dirt out of some places that I obviously had not been getting it out when it was all assembled.

The only issue I have had with it is that when I turn the key it does not engage the starter many times. Usually a few turns of the key and it catches. I have never had it not start for me it sometimes takes 30 turns of the key to make it happen.

Thanks for the help!

/ OK I have it apart - what else should do? #2  
Make sure the fins are clean. Blow all the debris out with air.
I have a Grasshopper ZTR ($8000. mower!!) that I got a great deal on with a blown 20 hp Kohler. The fins were totally clogged!!
When it overheated the exhaust valve stuck open and the piston hit it, broke it off. Things went down hill from there.
It cost me $400. in parts to rebuild it including a new cylinder head.

/ OK I have it apart - what else should do? #3  
If this Deines is similar to one I worked on for our church it is indeed a challenge to work on the engine while in the frame. If the strater is acting up I would pull it off and clean the bendix. This was also a problem on the churches mower and is was a real challenge to remove without pulling the engine.

Did your electric clutch has a strap to keep it from spinning or an angle plate bolted to the top of the frame rail?

Double and triple check any wires for chafing also especially were they come through a sheet metal shroud.

Check any of the hoses for the HST for signs of age, weather checking cracks etc. Much easier to see with the engine out of the way.

/ OK I have it apart - what else should do?
Thank you olnslo!

My Deines has sheet steel tub that the engine sits down in. The clutch has to slide off of the engine driveshaft (about 3") and there is only about an inch from the clutch to the inside of the tub consequently the engine has to come out. There is a metal bar about 1"x4" that goes from the clutch to the sidewall of the tub to keep the clutch from spinning.

I was on another forum this evening regarding the starter and they said the same thing. It is easy to take off and clean now but I think it may be impossible in the machine without loosening the motor mount bolts. I will definitely do that.

I called Deines and their technical service guy thought that the reason the clutch may have gone out was a short like you mentioned. The only wire damage I have found is right at the clutch but he said he has seen that before.

Good thought on checking the hoses as the 'tub' only has the hydro system and final drive units on it now - great time to check them.