3038e front axle leaking

/ 3038e front axle leaking #1  

noplans

Tractor
John Deere 3038e
Hello everyone. I have a 3038e and the left front axle is leaking where it pivots. I assume there is a seal there that needs to be replaced and wanted to see if anyone had any pointers as to what seal is needed and what is involved in replacing it? Thank you in advance for any help. (picture attached)

- Don

Attachments

• axle-leak.jpg
    axle-leak.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 2,967
   / 3038e front axle leaking #2  
Don, the identical seal on my 3038e allowed about 4 tablespoons of fluid to leak out recently. I used it in early March to scrape snow from the driveway and put it up. Two and a half weeks later, I noticed a puddle under the right hub. JD in Asheboro ordered parts for it and was going to charge $400+ to fix it. I picked it up before they fixed it after I read on this forum about the numerous front end leaks. Most folks agreed that the front axle needed a vent to help relieve pressure from heat build up et al inside the axle.

There is a gentleman in GBO who made a vent for my tractor that uses the same hole that the dipstick uses. I haven't used the tractor enough to see if it will work, but he advised we try this first before tearing the front end apart. We both agreed that if it didn't work then he would replace the seal. He is a heavy equipment mechanic with a machine shop in his back yard. Let me know here if you would be interested and I will put you in touch with him.

/ 3038e front axle leaking
Thank you very much for the information. I would love to get in touch with your contact and see if he wouldn't mind making a second. I did order the seals but have yet to tear into it. That vent sure beats the alternative if it works. From what I have read, that is the 'fix'. Would you mind passing along your contact? Thank you again.

/ 3038e front axle leaking #4  
Sure. Call 312-6240. Leave a message if no answer. Alan

/ 3038e front axle leaking
Thank you very much

/ 3038e front axle leaking #6  
Hello all. Thanks for the post. I am having this same exact problem. Alan would you mind if I gave you a call. Let me know. Thanks.

/ 3038e front axle leaking #7  
I have the exact problem on my 3038e, would also like the contact info on the vent. Thanks

/ 3038e front axle leaking #8  
I have the same problem and would like to get information on the vent fitting before tearing the front end apart.

/ 3038e front axle leaking #9  
I had the same leak on my Kubota front end. A good hard clean with the pressure washer and it's now stopped.

/ 3038e front axle leaking #10  
Just noticed a left front axle leak on my L3130. Will be 3rd time since new (2003). Dragged out power washer and thoroughly cleaned area. Drained oil to make sure no water got inside. All bearings are tight-no movement that I can feel at knuckle joint. In everyone's opinion, does the axle vent help on the Kubota models? Once they start to leak are the seals done for (barring debris getting in them)? During the last seal replacement, I was under the impression that the seal had been redesigned to eliminate the possible leaks. Guess not. The Kubota front axle does not have a easy access to install a possible vent tube. Has anyone attempted to vent theirs? My leak started in cold weather and had been sitting in the shop, so I wonder about the pressure issue. Since everything is cleaned, I am considering refilling with 90 weight gear oil and trying it. Another possible route would be to carefully tear down the axle and try to clean out the seal. Nothing to lose at this point.
David