rear diff lock

/ rear diff lock #1  

curly1

Tractor
powerking/ terramite
Hi all, this is my first post here( been reading them quite a while though). My question is, I was looking at a kubota b7100 with FEL( 3000 hrs) and the rear diff was not locking in when the foot lever was pressed. Could this be a major problem or a possible adjustment?

/ rear diff lock #2  
Curly, I think those who know might need more information to answer. Is the pedal stuck down? Did you just try stepping on it and it wouldn't go? Or just what. Sometimes, when sitting still, you can step on the pedal and it won't engage until the tractor moves just a little bit to line that pin up in there.

/ rear diff lock #3  
My diff lock pedal will not engage when the tractor is standing still or moving in a straight line. To engage mine, one wheel must be loosing traction. Another way to engage it is to turn slightly to right or left to create a 'difference' in rear wheel speed. The pedal should then depress.

/ rear diff lock
What I did was get the tractor stuck on some ice on purpose to get the rear wheel spinning, when I stepped on the foot lever to engage the diff lock it had no effect. I mentioned this to one of the mechanics that worked there and he came out to see, he couldn't get it to engage either. I'm just wondering if it could be a major problem in the differential, I realize when buying an older tractor there will be maintenance and repair issuses,but I'm not sure if I want to shell out $5000 for something that will need major repair
BTW when the foot lever was engaged it looked like the other wheel was trying to spin but something wasn't "meshed "in correctly

/ rear diff lock #5  
"I'm not sure if I want to shell out $5000 for something that will need major repair"

If you're not sure...then pass on this tractor. There are other machines available.

/ rear diff lock #6  
From the clues in your posts, it sounds like this tractor is at a dealership that has a service department, and the dealer's response could be described as a mechanic merely confirming it didn't seem work for him either.

In addition to Roy Jackson's comment "There are other machines available" keep in mind that there are other dealers.

The support you get may be the main reason to select one of the major brands over the others. There may be a lot you have left out of the story, but unless the dealer made a commitment to find out if there is a problem and, if so, to fix it before they would sell that tractor to anyone, think about taking your money to someone who is more responsive.

/ rear diff lock
Thanks for the replies, I'm not dead serious about buying this tractor, I was just curious if anyone might have run into this type of problem before. I'm not against buying something that needs work, sometimes it gives more bargaining power.
Besides even if the kubota's rear doesn't lock in it still has 4wd and that's alot more traction than my old 2wd powerking has
In regards to Aloha's repy, the owner of the dealership wasn't there so he may not know about the problem, I just mentioned to one of the mechanics and he came right out to check it out