smoking tractor

/ smoking tractor #1  

frank12345

my tractor smokes when i crank it up but only at full rpms but when warms up it stops and u only hear a pop every so

/ smoking tractor #2  
Hi, welome to TBN. Is your tractor diesel/gas? New/old? Do you run it at full rpm imediately after you start it? The reason I ask is that there could be many factors from something as simple as: letting it warm up more, changing a filter, to valve seals or oil/compression rings and let me preface that it could be foolish to make a diagnosis or receive one without actually looking at it or hearing it. With that said, the "pop", is it a miss (a stumble) or a pop? If its a pop, is it coming from the exhaust or intake? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ smoking tractor #3  
I agree with FJBC.. asking such an open ended question like that with ~no~ details as to what type of tractor this is is.. well.. asking for no answers.

For all we know you may have some kind of coal burning steam powered tractor from 1919, and after the furnace comes to full heat and is stoked, it stops smoking?

I checked your bio in hopes youhad listed some pertinant info.. but struck out there too.

Post back and let us know what you've got, age, model, make.. modifications.. fuel type.. etc. Oil, last time it was serviced.. yada yada yada.. We'll be glad to throw some educated guesses at ya.

Id the pop on acceleration.. or static? What type of ignition system does it have? ( points, electronic, um.. coal/wood burning /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) If points.. when was it serviced last.. type spark plugs.. and wires?.. 6v system? 12v system? if 12.. was it oem 12, or converted.. if converted, did you use a 12v coil, or add a ignition ballast resistor to the 6v coil...
Also, your geographic location will be helpfull, as well as what work this tractor frequently does.

Sounds like alot.. but believe it or not.. it all factors.. ( I.E... geographic location determines type of oil needed, which in turn, may pop out as a reason why it smokes... )

Soundguy

/ smoking tractor #4  
I would say that because you have a "pop sound" that your tractor is diesel and that the "pop" is cause by a bad injector.

/ smoking tractor #5  
Frank you leave a lot for our imagination! I'd be leaning towards the fact of a bad injector same as Deerlope suggested do to the pop but many of the older diesel designs used into the seventies had troube building the temperature in the engine for a clean burn when cold. When a tactor does have this type problem all to often the excess fuel causes the cylinder to get washed and form a glaze over the cylinder walls that will increase oil consumption and lower power because of the rings inability to seal.