Kawasaki FD671D running lean on one side

/ Kawasaki FD671D running lean on one side #1  

Pancho22

Tractor
John Deere
I have a John Deere with the Kawasaki FD671 motor,, one side runs hot enough to make the exhaust glow red and the plug color shows it to be running more lean than the other side. Is this something common with this motor?? Wondering where to start to look for the problem.

/ Kawasaki FD671D running lean on one side #2  
You have an air leak.

You can confirm this using a propane bottle to locate the air leak.

/ Kawasaki FD671D running lean on one side
I figured that much Eric,, I was wondering if there is something common that happens on these motor,, failed gasket, carburetor problem, cracked manifold etc. Tell me about finding a leak with a propane bottle, I'm not familiar with that. Thanks for replying

/ Kawasaki FD671D running lean on one side #4  
Is it single carb?

I think you just carefully spray propane on the inlet manifold as it is idling it will change note if you get it on to a leak.

Thanks for the reply Samuellm,, After looking into this problem, I see that the carburetor is a two barrel carb, and I BELIEVE that it is set up one barrel for one cylinder. I am starting to lean towards the idea that one barrel of the carb is having problems like a clogged jet and causing the lean condition in one cylinder.... I am doing some further research and work and will let you know what I find.

/ Kawasaki FD671D running lean on one side #7  
Someone had posted this link to the service manual for this motor,, it is really helpful

http://www.mudbuddy.com/_includes/FD671D-FD791D.pdf

1) Does it idle smoothly?

2) does it accelerate smoothly?

3) Does it run at higher rpm smoothly?

I just looked at the service manual and you have one idle jet and one pilot jet common to both barrels and a separate main for each barrel.

It looks like the intake manifold is common to both barrels.

Lean running cylinders run hot and make good power if they have just enough fuel to fire.

Does the cylinder run hot at idle? at operating rpm, or both at idle and at operating rpm?

The answers to my questions will help you focus on the issue.

"The answers to my questions will help you focus on the issue." HA, That's kind of funny Eric,, I do appreciate the help.

While the service manual only shows one pilot jet in the diagram on page 2-3 for illustration purposes, the carburetor actually has two, one for each barrel. Also the manifold APPEARS to be separate for each cylinder, I am not going to remove it to verify unless necessary as the coolant flows through it, and I didn't order gaskets for it. At this point I am thinking I may just have some clogging in the carburetor from old gas,, I believe this tractor may have sat unused for awhile. When I get some time (maybe tomorrow), I am going to run it with a big dose of Berrymans B12 in the gas then check the plugs and pipe temp again. It does run fine, just very lean on the right side,, enough that I won't use it like that. I'll keep you posted,, we'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks again