Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice.

/ Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice. #1  

RippySkippy

Silver Member
Tractor
1025r
70's JD 1020 Diesel, removing/rebuilding the injector pump.

My question is for those that work on equipment like this on a daily basis, how do you go about breaking the bottom nut loose, and, during reassembly get it re-tightened? There's ZERO working space.

Here's the nut in question:
IMG_1733.png

Thank you,

Rip

/ Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice. #2  
There sre special wrenches made for doing those kind of jobs. Most John Deere dealers have them. Places like NAPA should too. I usually just build my own. A bit of work with a torch on a cheap flat wrench and it's bent to the shape that works.

Before you loosen that last bolt make sure you are removing the pump correctly. There usually is a sequence to follow so that the timing doesn't get changed. It's possible to time an engine from scratch but it's a lot easier to take injection pump off properly. A service manual should let you know what to do. A John Deere service manual will even list the correct special wrenches. Service manuals are cheap as a pdf. Lacking a service manual the diesel injection shop should be able to tell you what to do.

By the way that is a lot of room to remove the bolt. Try removing the injection pump on a 1370 case. The bolt is there... You just can't see it. And you can hardly get at it either. This one is positively roomy in comparison.

/ Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice. #3  
Wow! That's just not right. BTW I think that's cast aluminum. When I find stuff like that I replace the nuts with stainless and carefully see if there is some grinding I can do to make the next time less painful.

/ Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice. #4  
Hold nut, turn bolt?
Why are you removing the IP, and who is going to rebuild it?

/ Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice.
Hold nut, turn bolt?
Why are you removing the IP, and who is going to rebuild it?

It needs to be rebuilt, she's completely shot as in - the tractor quit as I was getting it in the shop. Not sure where I'll send it, but that's on the task next. I'm not aware of a local shop that does rebuilds.

Thanks!

Wow! That's just not right. BTW I think that's cast aluminum. When I find stuff like that I replace the nuts with stainless and carefully see if there is some grinding I can do to make the next time less painful.

It is cast aluminum, good call on the stainless nut, I'll pick up a couple for reassembly. I'm HOPING there's not a next time, least not for me. :)

Thanks!

/ Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice. #7  
It needs to be rebuilt, she's completely shot as in - the tractor quit as I was getting it in the shop. Not sure where I'll send it, but that's on the task next. I'm not aware of a local shop that does rebuilds.

Thanks!

Give Joel Shenk at: fuel injection injection pump injection pump rebuilding injection pump repair, Conestoga Diesel Injection Fuel Injection and Turbocharger Rebuilding. The Moose Pump people! Willow Street, PA Home a call. They've done work for the Kioti Forum members on some Doosan IPs.
I spoke to Joel a while back about a pump for another TBN member. He knows what he's talking about. (I used to run a foreign auto shop), and have dealt with IPs on various diesels.
There are other places to get the work done, but this shop has done well by our forum members. Your Deere should be easy for them, they service all farm machinery large and small.
P.S., do the injectors at the same time- have them pop tested and calibrated as needed.:thumbsup:

There sre special wrenches made for doing those kind of jobs. Most John Deere dealers have them. Places like NAPA should too. I usually just build my own. A bit of work with a torch on a cheap flat wrench and it's bent to the shape that works.

Before you loosen that last bolt make sure you are removing the pump correctly. There usually is a sequence to follow so that the timing doesn't get changed. It's possible to time an engine from scratch but it's a lot easier to take injection pump off properly. A service manual should let you know what to do. A John Deere service manual will even list the correct special wrenches. Service manuals are cheap as a pdf. Lacking a service manual the diesel injection shop should be able to tell you what to do.

By the way that is a lot of room to remove the bolt. Try removing the injection pump on a 1370 case. The bolt is there... You just can't see it. And you can hardly get at it either. This one is positively roomy in comparison.

Man, that sounds painful. Guess I'll quit my whining. :)

I timed the pump through the sight window with the instructions from the service manual. Oddly though it simply says "remove the pump" with no reference to special wrenches. I've seen many other instances where special wrenches are specified, but not for this. I was able to finally get the nut removed by sacrificing a 9/16" end wrench by heating the shaft and bending to about 90 degrees.

Last evening I found what I believe I need is an 80 degree open end wrench like this, or I could take my already spent 9/16 cut the head from the handle and weld it back together at about that angle.

Thank you!

Last edited:
   / Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice. #9  
001.jpg

This is how I do it. The wrench on the right was used to remove a nut on a similar situation such as you have on a Cummins.

/ Removing Old Iron injector pump - looking for advice. #10  
crows foot on long ext.