4610 Ford missing won't rev over 1500 rpm

/ 4610 Ford missing won't rev over 1500 rpm #1  

skidsteer.ca

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat 553, 773, S185, Nh LS 160
I have a 4610 ford tractor, 2900 hr that has a cylinder mis like it has a bad injector. However it also won't rev over 1500 rpm. Load or no load. Has steady smoke in the exhaust at all speeds. Idles rough. Piston blowby is reasonable and it starts right up could. Air filter and exhaust seem un restricted.
I'm thinking injection pump because of low rpm, Just like it is governed at 1500, and needs a injector or valve set. Anyone run into anything like this?

/ 4610 Ford missing won't rev over 1500 rpm #2  
Sorry I can't help you with this. If you don't get any activity here, start another thread in the New Holland Owner/Operator forum. Should get some response there.

/ 4610 Ford missing won't rev over 1500 rpm #3  
Are you sure you have adequate fuel flow? The tank strainer could be restricting fuel flow. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? make sure the connections on the fuel delivery system are tight so you don't suck air.

/ 4610 Ford missing won't rev over 1500 rpm
The strainer is at the fuel shutoff I guess? Return must be the line out the top of the inj pump?

/ 4610 Ford missing won't rev over 1500 rpm #5  
The strainer is at the fuel shutoff I guess? Return must be the line out the top of the inj pump?
Yes the strainer is at the tank out let. The return line goes to the fuel tank filler neck and when the engine is running, you can see fuel dribbling from the return line with the fuel cap off.

Shut-off lever at full terurn ?

Yep checked that too.
Pull and tested the injectors, 1 is a bit weak but is not the heart of the problem.
Looks like its time for a reman injection pump. Who do you guys like to use?

I got the new (not reman) injection pump on and I changed all injectors because they were only $40 each. Took a bit of coaxing but got it fired up and it runs fine and revs the full 2300 rpm again.
I however have fuel dripping at the pump from #2 injector line and I have tighten it about as much as I think I should. Anything else to try before a new line. Is there a way to help the line seat in. Its not a pulsing leak from each injection cycle but more of a steady drip.

/ 4610 Ford missing won't rev over 1500 rpm #9  
Glad you got it fixed. Hate it that you have a leak. Those things drive me crazy. Hope you can figure it out.