IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power

/ IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power #1  

kkjpmc

Tractor
IH 1066
Hi !
Does anyone have familiarity w/ IH 1066 ? Was disking and tractor lost power, white smoke came out from below and engine was making a clicking sound. Have I blown my engine ? How bad is this? We're relatively new to farming, have over 50 acres for alfalfa and oats, and in the middle of prepping fields for some new planting and time - and water - is running !
Thank you in advance
PMC

/ IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power #2  
Several ideas come to mind and they are all bad. Heavy white smoke from below indicates combustion gases getting into the crankcase and blowing out the breather. Clicking - I've seen a dropped valve break a piston, cracked sleeve. At least you don't say anything about a hole in the block so that is intact. If you aren't familiar with these Farmalls you should find someone who is and have them look at it. They were so popular that you should be able to find an expert in any farming area.

/ IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power
Thank you for your response! Do you have any idea, just ball park, how much the repair would be if it is a broken piston ? Don't want to get ripped off. Assume we are not doing the repair ourselves but having someone do it. Thanks !

/ IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power #4  
Thank you for your response! Do you have any idea, just ball park, how much the repair would be if it is a broken piston ? Don't want to get ripped off. Assume we are not doing the repair ourselves but having someone do it. Thanks !

Sorry I didn't see this earlier as it scrolled too far. I can't give a good estimate because in my case I have 3 options. One is to do it myself with assistance from relatives and neighbors. Second is a neighbor who is now on layoff but will do the job for parts cost plus a quarter of beef. Third is Bill Braunworth in Plato, MN, whose life is old Farmalls.

Thanks ! We found someone reliable and reputable on recommendation of neighbor/fellow rancher. And yes, it's in the shop for an engine overhaul. Waiting to hear the exact details.

/ IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power #6  
Great tractor - that 436 is a tough engine. I am looking forward to hearing what you find.

Us too ! Yeah, it's a workhorse and we decided it was worth fixing.

/ IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power #8  
My sister's family dairy farm is always teetering on the edge. Their first tractor after they got married 45 years ago was a 766 and they still have that, but it might have been their last new one. Since then it has been making do with used Farmalls. Right now they have a string from that first 766 to a 4386. They don't have a 1066 but when I asked him he said turbo - because of the white smoke. However when I asked the neighbor who does some of the major overhauls on my BIL's tractors, he agreed with me - something major allowing combustion gases to get into the crankcase with the smoke pouring from the breather. His bet is a blown piston. My guess has been more exotic - a valve broke punching a hole in the piston. We both think if it was a turbo the smoke would have boiled from the stack. Hope the pain of the repair isn't too bad for you and you can get the tractor back quickly this time of year. We are always late up here - it is about one week until I start helping them chop haylage. The best they can do for me is a Farmall 986. I'm too old for a tractor with no air conditioning, all cab windows except the windshield missing, and no working TA so I use my own 2 year old Kubota - but then again I left the dairy farm when I graduated from college and as a result saved enough change to buy new.

/ IH 1066 tractor problem - white smoke, clicking, loss of power #9  
On engines of that vintage it could be many things depending on how many times it's been to the machine shop. There are maximum amounts of grinding you can do on many parts like the head being resurfaced. Take the time to be sure that the spec's are right. About the third rebuild the cam might also need to be replaced. Rocker arms will fail as well as the push rods from improper out of tolerance repairs.