John Deere 1050

/ John Deere 1050 #1  

vdubstreets

Tractor
John Deere 1050, John deere trackloader
Hello All,
I am new to working on machines myself but have been working on cars for some time. I have a John Deere 1050 late 70's early 80's tractor. I currently have two leaks and looking to see how difficult it would be to do this work myself. Below I've attached an image of where the leaks are coming from.

One leak is coming from the from steering piviot point on the front right wheel. it is leaking enough that I see drippings on the ground beneith.

One leak is coming from the backhoe attachment. It only leaks when I move the backhoe side to side, infact it sprays out. It looks like I could just remove those three bolts and replace a gasket? or am I way off?

Any suggestions on how hard these would be to repair?

0526151657c.jpg
0526151657d.jpg

/ John Deere 1050
Thanks to another user on the forum by the name of Barry I was able to locate a DIY write up for the axle seals, it looks like a very doable project.
Yanmar Tractor Support Message Board ? View topic - YM336D YM3110D Front Axle Seal Replacement

As for the Backhoe Piston problem I am having I have attached another image of the piston that is giving me problems. on the JD website I was unable to locate any diagrams for this part, Infact I'm not even sure what its called.
JD1050-6.jpg

/ John Deere 1050 #4  
vdub, the axle seals are a common trouble spot and not to tough to fix,you need to determine what style of axle and the degree of wear on the tube. You cant tell til you get it apart,some of these offer a repair sleeve, only needed if the groove is too deep for the stock seal to seal.....

From CT...

/ John Deere 1050
Thanks again for the help Grainger, may have to take some time off work to do this but doesn't look too hard.

As for my backhoe problem I got help from another user who emailed me. Its called a swing cylinder (go figure) and i was able to source out a diagram. Looks like some of the parts are not labled it is now just a matter of figuring out which bushings/seals need to be replaced.
mp15961________un15oct96.jpg

/ John Deere 1050 #7  
All the pieces to seal the cylinder will be in what is called a seal kit.