Keys locked in car

/ Keys locked in car #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Wife has a Subaru Forester, 2010 version.

Key are locked inside. We live 18 miles outside of town so want to do myself.

Would a 'Slim Jim' work or should I try the hanger through the door method?

Lock is a rocker type at the door pull (inside of car) It's not an up/down type that we used to have on domestic cars.

How difficult is this?

/ Keys locked in car #2  
Just call her cell phone and explain to her how the doors unlock like you did to us, maybe she can unlock them from inside the car?

/ Keys locked in car #3  
Slim Jim's work by moving the linkage, at the door latch. Most manufacturers have redesigned these latches, so they are not easily tripped.

The old style lock buttons at the top of the door panel were the easiest, because we had a tool that just went under them and pushed it up.

The most successful way for me to gain access in our body shop, was to use a long tool, to press the power door lock switch.

We slid some wood wedges in at the top of the door, to create a gap, and then inserted the tool.

/ Keys locked in car #4  
This might help:

I've heard of using an aluminum yardstick, too.

Bruce

/ Keys locked in car #7  
Not any help for this time, but get on eBay or Amazon and buy an air wedge. It slips in the door / body gap and expands. Then use the rod or coat hanger of your choice to unlock. Cheap and easy way to get into most vehicles.
I have payed the pop-a-lock guys way too much money. Finally got the air wedge and haven't had to call them in years. They never slim jimed anything. Just wedged the door out enough for a rod.

/ Keys locked in car
Yep... here's the rest of the story.

Came home & started tinkering with it. It was a gamble in my mind because again, we're about 18 miles out of town and if I couldn't figure it out we'd either have to pay someone to come out or, drive back to town to get 'something'.

Used a blue bar (don't recall what it's called but it's used typically for nail removal or has one side for leverage)

Anyways, put a towel there to protect the car. Put the blue bar in and slid my electrical fish tape in. I knew I'd need something thin yet, stiff.

I was able to hit the (un)lock button but the silly thing would just bend rather than apply any pressure.

Wife in her thoughtfulness, brought me a substantially similar item that you'd use to snake through plumbing pipes. It was a bit wider than the fish tape I was using but, it also flailed around rather than applying the pressure to the button.

Scratching my head, I described to her what this was doing and how I needed it to be changed (more stiff yet very thin....)

She said....hmm.... try THIS!

Pulls out a metal piece. Don't recall why we have it but it was pretty stout. Had to bend it a bit as I was thinking instead of pushing the unlock button, I could get a straight piece of something, put a little hook on the end and "simply" move the lock itself rather than try to use the electronic button.

Had it in the door, had it on the lock 8-10 times...when I got to thinking... I swear I saw it move. I can't believe that I didn't have enough pressure on it. Then again....I was "pulling" the lock. Is that correct? Do I have to pull it or, would I have to push it?

I don't know that I've ever used the lock itself as I usually just hit the button.

Tried again and pushed it rather than pulling it and click. Door unlocked, door opened and wife happy. She can go to work tomorrow and, I don't have to pay someone to come way out here to do (essentially) the same thing for me.

/ Keys locked in car #9  
Nothing like a hide-a-key. Hopefully that's in the near future.