Seating tire beads

/ Seating tire beads #1  

OrangeB2400

Put a new 20 x 10 x 8 tire on my lawn tractor but can't get the beads to seat. I tried using ratchet straps around to center but that didn't do the trick. Tried starter fluid but it just caught fire and no explosion to seat the tire. Any suggestions?

/ Seating tire beads #2  
I do think they have reduced the quality of starting fluid- not the same ,'pop' quality when you light it. The slow burn does not help the tire. I take mine to town to a gas station with a big compressor and 125 psi. Removing the valve stem makes for success. Air is still free at this station,but I see that changing.

/ Seating tire beads #3  
As 2458n has mentioned,removing the valve from the stem is a must !!!!

/ Seating tire beads #4  
If you remove the stem, wouldn't you have to use an air hose nozzle rather than a chuck to get the air in the stem?

I had this problem yesterday. I tried the ratchet strap approach. It didn't work until I put a bunch of soap to grease the bead and physically lifted up on the tire to close off the gaps between the tire and rim enough so that the air in was greater than the air leaking out.

/ Seating tire beads
I did remove the valve stem however the gaps between the rim were too much. My starter fluid can was almost empty. I'll pick up a new can and try one more time.

/ Seating tire beads #6  
Agreed, starter fluid isn't what it used to be. My thought is that maybe it's toned down due to the amount of diesel owners on the road these days. Tons more folks, at least in my area, are driving diesels and don't know anything about them. Spraying starter fluid in a diesel can't be catastrophic.

Rather than starter fluid, I would get a can of carb cleaner. Spray inside the tire, then step back and light the stream from the can. I wouldn't necessarily light the tire itself as it's pretty flammable. Use the little tube on the can so you get more of a stream. I've done it many times, works well. Just move quickly, carb cleaner dries very quickly.

Oh, and use one of those long grill lighters, a bic is a good way to singe hairs. Ask me how I know, ha

/ Seating tire beads #7  
oil / soap BOTH beads well ... then rotate the Tire onto the back part of the rim ... get it on there good ( one less bead to deal with )

then place the tire leaning against a block of wood / stone / wall , so that you can push the rim inwards and get the outer bead to touch the rim ... inflate while pushing on the center of the rim / pulling on the tire to the outside ... you can usually get them to seal this way ...

/ Seating tire beads #8  
What jaotaguy said or maybe easier douse the bead and rim with dish soap like he said and try your ratchet straps again.

/ Seating tire beads #9  
I leave the stem alone... only pull the valve core.

Also, taken a dab of slime on the rim for ease of sealing.