Pilot bearing removal question

/ Pilot bearing removal question #1  

Kosmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
Hi all,

Replacing the clutch on Ford/NH 1715 compact tractor and am having trouble removing the pilot bearing. I don't own a blind hole puller so I thought I'd try the hydraulic grease trick. Didn't work. The grease blew out the flimsy outside bearing retainer. I've looked online for a blind hole puller but the smallest only claim to fit 1/2" id bearings. This pilot bearing, apparently very common, a 6001z has an id of 12mm which is slightly smaller than 1/2". Anyone know if this type of puller (runs from about $40 - $100 from varying manufacturers) will work even thought the stated minimum is 1/2". Thanks for any replies.

/ Pilot bearing removal question #2  
Kosmo

The grease I always packed in the hole (I always use wheel bearing grease) never failed me before. I typically use a socket extension a little smaller diameter than the hole, it was to be inserted into. While the tool was clean I would wrap in electrical tape until it fit snuggly within the bearing. A swift hit with a hammer and even though it would lose some grease due to crack(s). That sucker never stood a chance......

I have never used the "proper tool" as this technique has always had success. Good luck and post your solution if you get a chance!

/ Pilot bearing removal question #3  
Is this a ball bearing?

/ Pilot bearing removal question #4  
If everything fails try a tab for your next to last thing. If the tab doesn't bush it out and if it turns go back to the grease thing and it should come out then. The last thing would be to cut it out with a die grinder.

/ Pilot bearing removal question #5  
Do you have a slide hammer with interchangeable tips, one of them being a hook? If you do you might be able to use that if there's room to hook behind the inner race. If not, do you have a welder? If yes knock the ball separator apart and remove what remains of it, the balls and the inner race then run a bead of weld all around the inside of the outer race. Let it cool down and you should be able to remove it by hand. If it's still stuck tighter than hand tight weld something onto it that you can use to pull it out.

/ Pilot bearing removal question #6  
The use of heavy grease has always worked for me, but for some other blind bearings of smaller size a concrete anchor bolt can serve as a "handle". Get one that can be tightened to fit slightly tight and then you pry/tap it out or get a slide hammer on it.

prs

/ Pilot bearing removal question
Thanks for the replies, but like I said the grease blew out the flimsy retainer and now I get no hydraulic action because the new grease just flies out between the bearings. I'd try a slide hammer but that again means buying the whole shindig of over $40 and all the ones I see also say 1/2" minimum id. Although that harbor freight hammer is cheap enough it might be worth a shot if all other ideas fail. I've got no welder so that approach is out. I thought of the anchor bolt idea but was thinking there is not much room below the bearing, maybe a half inch. Has anyone ever tried using something like clay or silly putty? Seems like the greater viscosity might slow down leakage thru the bearings now that the thin metal retaining ring is gone.

/ Pilot bearing removal question #9  
   / Pilot bearing removal question
This one goes down to 8mm, but the price has nearly doubled. I paid $118 for the set a couple of months ago.

Amazon.com: Internal & Extractor 16PC Blind Hole Pilot Bearing Puller Remove W/ Slide Hammer: Home Improvement

If you can heat the bearing with a torch without heating up something else important, you can simply get it cherry red, then let it cool...it will have shrunk and will come right out.
That's a nice set but a little too steep for my pockets. Thanks for the reply!