John Deere 1050 Wont Start - Loses Power

/ John Deere 1050 Wont Start - Loses Power #1  

rgotts1

Tractor
John Deere 1050
I have been trying for a week to find a solution to this problem that I have never encountered before. 1987 John Deere 1050 will not start with a brand new battery. Before I try turning the key, my oil indicator light comes on, my headlights and flashers work - battery reads 12.8 volts. Once I turn the key, I get two very quick clicks (only on the first key turn) from either the starter or solenoid, not sure which, and then everything dies. My lights go out, my oil indicator shuts off - it's as if the battery went completely dead. I read the battery and it's still at 12.8 volts. If I wait about 30 or so seconds, the oil indicator light will come back on but the headlights and flashers will not (like its not getting enough power from battery to juice them up). If I try another key turn, no clicks from starter/solenoid and oil indicator light goes out - and will usually stay out for a minute. I have cleaned all connections to battery, re-connected all connectors to ignition, alternator, etc. I have read the battery cables for resistance, but they read between .3 and .5 ohms. I have tried jumping the battery with my truck - nothing has worked. I get the same result every time. What is the problem? Is it the starter? Where could the power from the battery be going? How do I get this tractor back up and running?? Please help!!

/ John Deere 1050 Wont Start - Loses Power #3  
I see that you have the best tool to diagnose your problem, a volt meter. Put one end of the voltmeter on the actual negative battery terminal and the other on a clean spot on the starter frame. Then try and start the engine. A high voltage confirms DLTTrekkers advice. Either the negative cable is bad internally or is making a poor connection to the frame of the tractor.
Dave M7040

/ John Deere 1050 Wont Start - Loses Power #4  
I have a JD 1050 and had a random starting issue similar to yours. I cleaned all the terminals and it didn't change it. Somewhere on tractorbynet I found an article about installing a relay onto the solenoid at the starter. This solves the problem with a voltage drop due to old wiring and contacts. It is JD kit AM107421 and solved the problem for my 1050.
Ethan

/ John Deere 1050 Wont Start - Loses Power #5  
Loose or corroded earthcable at the body

DITTO on bad connection on negative cable at tractor frame or battery cable is corroded inside cable insulation

/ John Deere 1050 Wont Start - Loses Power #6  
DITTO on bad connection on negative cable at tractor frame or battery cable is corroded inside cable insulation

It is amazing how good these corroded cables can look on the outside and how rotten, green and nasty they can look on the inside where it counts.