Ford 4600SU Running Hot and Backfiring through carb

/ Ford 4600SU Running Hot and Backfiring through carb #1  

FullyLoaded

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
First of all, I want to say thanks for a great forum. I have been lurking here for a while but just now registering. I have a friend of mine that has a Ford 4600SU gas tractor. I'm 12 hours away so I cannot go help him work on it hands on. He said it was running right at the hot line on the gauge all the time, when he shuts it off it will diesel and the radiator will spray over from the cap. He also said it was very cold natured and hard to start. I am thinking the timing is retarded to much but I cannot find any timing specs for the tractor on the net. I am pretty sure it is not to far advanced because the starter does not drag when the tractor is warm and you try and restart it. I told him to read the plugs, check the timing, and rebuild the carb. Is there anything else it could be? Thanks a bunch

/ Ford 4600SU Running Hot and Backfiring through carb #2  
Find out why it runs at hot.

/ Ford 4600SU Running Hot and Backfiring through carb #3  
I'm with Egon, I'd worry about the hot issue first. Spewing coolant and dieseling are both a result of overheating. I searched a bit and couldn't find timing specs either. Maybe someone with a gas model with chime in soon.

If you don't get much action here, post another thread in the New Holland/Owning Operating forum.

/ Ford 4600SU Running Hot and Backfiring through carb #4  
I would remove the valve cover and check for a tight valve clearance unless someone was fooling with the ignition system distributor.
Is there much air coming out the crankcase vent line indicating blow by of the piston rings?
Start the tractor with the rad cap off and watch for any bubbles in the coolant which could mean a blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head. Combustion pressure getting into the cooling system.
Running it until the rad is very hot is not going to help but can damage the engine beyond repair.

Dave M7040

/ Ford 4600SU Running Hot and Backfiring through carb #5  
Running lean will cause both the backfiring and over heating.
Incorrect timing will also cause overheating and backfiring.
I would FIRST start with cleaning and adjusting the points (or replacing them) and then put a timing light on it.
Then I would adjust the carb to give it more fuel.