hour meter not working

/ hour meter not working #1  

andystix

I just recently bought a 544GTC wheel loader. it works well except the hour meter and tech are not working (digital).I am guesing a broken wire.but dont know where to look.
can you help?

/ hour meter not working #2  
andystix,

I can't help you, but I wanted to be the first to congratulate you on being the Official Member # 9000 ! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ hour meter not working #3  
Welcome to TBN and congratulations... you are the 9000th member to join TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> can you help? </font>

Like you thought, hopefully it is a broken wire. Fine both ends of the wire and use a meter to test it, if possible. I'm sure someone else will be able to offer suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If it is not the wire, you could check salvage yards for meters.

/ hour meter not working #4  
Not much help yet. And I'm afraid I can't help much either. Not familiar with your machine or the digital tach/hour meter. I still live in the dark ages. Mine is analog and uses a speedometer type cable. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Since it is digital (and probably electronic) I am guessing there is a sending unit somewhere on the engine. Your problem could be the sending unit, wiring, or the meter itself. Trace the wiring from the meter to where ever it goes on the engine. If the wiring looks ok, then it is a guess as to whether the meter or sending unit is bad. You might could find a shop that would test your meter for you.

/ hour meter not working #5  
Does the tach display show anything or is it completely blank like the key is off? If it looks like the key is off, you could have a blown fuse, broken wire or defective display. If it always reads zero, I would suspect a bad sending unit or a broken wire between the display and sending unit. If you can find the sending unit, you can check it by unhooking the wires and hooking an A/C voltmeter to it. With the engine running, You should get a small voltage reading out of the sender that varies with engine rpm.