Case 485 Transmission Problems

/ Case 485 Transmission Problems #1  

lundrunner

Tractor
Case IH 485
We are looking to buy a 1990/91 Case 485 diesel tractor, no cab, with a 2250 loader to use around our marina for land leveling, cutting grass etc. It has under 2000 hours on it, but has sat outside all the time so paint etc is faded. Tractor starts good, runs good etc, but we can't shift it into 3rd or 4th gear. it is like the linkage is stuck. looked at it yesterday some more, and there are two linkage rods, 1 for 1st and 2nd, and a heavier one for 3rd and 4th.
The linkages go forwards under the plate that sits between your legs and feet. I am wondering if something is jammed up under there? Oh, it has a hi/lo range as well, which works.
Anybody have any experience with these tractors?
The loader frame covers up the side so can't see the serial number to figure out what year it is for sure.
Also, the clutch doesn't grab until about the last 1 inch of travel. Is there a linkage adjustment for that as well, or is it an indication that the clutch is pretty much done?
Thanks for any advice.

/ Case 485 Transmission Problems #2  
The clutch does have an external adjustment rod. It is on the left side just ahead of the clutch pedal. Adjust the clutch, then put tractor in highest gear and take off rapidly. If it slips it is weak. Another point of that tractor is the hand brake. The brake is a band inside the transmission. If it has been run with the brake engaged it is an expensive fix if it is important to you. The brakes are actuated by two master cylinders that are prone to leak. Look for oil running down the sides just ahead of the clutch housing.

I can't help you with the shifting problem. I would think you would have to follow the linkage to the transmission and see if it shifts there.

I own the 485's underpowered little brother. They are really comfortable, heavy, tractors that are a joy to operate with the synchronized transmission, power brakes, and power steering.

/ Case 485 Transmission Problems
thanks for the reply.
Foot brakes work real good on tractor, hand brake did not, but not concerned.
Just have to see if we can get the shifting repaired so we can get into 3rd and 4th
any info is more than what we have.

/ Case 485 Transmission Problems #4  
1ts select neutral ........start your engine and see if the tractor is realy in neutral ? If not .......it can be locked in gear . Then you only have to unlock the gears .................When selecting neutral in 1st and 2nd look under the plate and see if you can get to 3rd and 4th s selector or if that middle piece is in your way ? Do the middle piece rotate with your selector ? If so ....then there is a rollpin broken in the gearbox casing and to fix that you will have to remove the fueltank and the rockshafthousing to r&r the broken rollpin

Thanks.
can't look at it til tomorrow, and it is still at the dealer, who is busy with sprayers and big stuff at the moment.

Looks like we bought a tractor! Picked it up this morning and drove 8 miles to marina. Runs like a top. Still a little sticky getting into 3rd or 4th gear, but think it is from lack of use in those gears. Hoping so anyways. the 2250 loader is pretty much mint other than faded paint. also got a JD 403 rough cut mower for it as well. Only 4 feet wide, but at $200, couldn't go wrong. Tractor and loader was 6300 Canadian, or about $4880 American, tractor shows 1966 hours, good back rubber, 1 front almost new, and other one usable for now.

/ Case 485 Transmission Problems #7  
Glad you got it worked out. That sounds like a terrific deal.

Was out sharpening blades on the mower today, and after I was done, took it for a short run.
Then I accidentally stepped on the differential lock pedal, and now it is engaged.
How do I dis-engage the differential lock ??. Is there a lever to dis-engage it?
We don't have a manual yet.

/ Case 485 Transmission Problems #9  
It is a spring return lever. Like the other parts of the tractor, it is probably just stiff from non-use. Make sure the tractor is on level ground and the gears not in a bind. Spray the shaft that goes into the differential under the running board with penetrant and tap the lever with a hammer. You might have to work it back and forth a few times, but it will free up.