NH TC40DA starter

/ NH TC40DA starter #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
My starter is getting a little intermittent on me, sometimes just giving me a click so I'm going to try to be proactive and replace it before it fails completely. I came across this on eBay - New Starter New Holland Tractor TC35DA TC40 TC40A TC40D TC40DA TC48DA TC55DA | eBay.

Anybody know anything about these? Since a new starter is $420 and a reman is $240 from Messick's, this seems like a screaming good deal if it's basically the same thing.

/ NH TC40DA starter #2  
Never heard of them but I would say it's worth a shot. From all the customer reviews their parts are new Chinese built items but now a days what isn't. BBB has them at a B rating because of 5 complaints that they answered but those seem mostly customers that would never be pleased. Common issue was getting in contact with a live person when you need to return something.

O'Reillys website says they can get one for $224 if you want someone more local. Messicks part folks are good people to deal with as well. You can order straight from the DB Electrical website as well. If you get the one from DB Electrical let us know how it works out.

/ NH TC40DA starter #3  
Before you get carried away ordering a starter, i suggest you first make sure you need one. The TC models are well know for this problem. After a few years and a few(hundred) starts, the start signal making it's way through all the switches, relays, connections,etc, can(and will) become weaker over time reducing the voltage to the starter solenoid to as little as 8 or 9 volts. Enough in some cases to cause the starter to click but not to actually crank. Check the starter itself with a jumper wire supplying battery voltage directly to the starter solenoid's start terminal. If the starter works every time that way, then test(if you can) the signal voltage coming down from the switch. If it's 10 volts or less, the starter is probably not the problem.

/ NH TC40DA starter #4  
I bought a reman from Messicks and it started twice then stopped working.
They sent me another though without any problems. Been using it for 2 years now.

/ NH TC40DA starter #5  
google manic electric motors and look up your starter by man. part #. They have a plunger and contact kit for the starter. I put a kit on my farmall 40 and fixed the intermittent start problem.

/ NH TC40DA starter
google manic electric motors and look up your starter by man. part #. They have a plunger and contact kit for the starter. I put a kit on my farmall 40 and fixed the intermittent start problem.

AWESOME, thanks for that. The kit is only $17 and I'm pretty sure the problem is the solenoid, not the starter motor, but since it's internal I didn't see anyway to replace it. This should save me a bunch of $$$! :)

/ NH TC40DA starter #7  
Stx, I don't remember if there is a video (of replacing the parts) on the manic site, but there is on you tube, if you search. As I remember the hardest part was putting the starter back on.

/ NH TC40DA starter #8  
My Ford 1210 acted the same way. Sometimes a click, others it spun like brand new. Turned out to be a small wire about 6" long that had corroded/burned apart under the insulation. It was connected to the starter with crimped ring terminal and plugged into another wire with an insulated spade connector.

/ NH TC40DA starter
BTW, the tractor is a 2006 or 2007 model with a little about 907 hours on it. I believe the previous owner was a soil yard so it had a lot of start/stop cycles. I'm going to check the wires and switch for corrosion as well but I'm pretty sure that the starter solenoid is going to be the ticket, just based on past experience with other engines.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

/ NH TC40DA starter #10  
does your starter look like the one on the db website if so the contacts/plunger kit is the most common repair done to these units . this may sound strange but the contacts and plunger are under a sort of triangle shape plate with 3 screws in it. when you take this cap off you will feel a small push out on the cap the plunger has a spring on the shaft that goes into the solenoid dont lose it has to be there. the contacts really just bolt in through the housing remember the sequence the washers/spacers come out it has to go back he same way you will see wire there it is not a part of the contacts it is actually from the solenoid coil which is located below the contacts my next statement is going to sound really crazy but smell in the area where contacts are if it smells like burnt wiring you may need a solenoid please reply can direct you where you can get it one of the best shops close to you is in pasadena tx great guys if neccessary