How to rewind pull recoil starter spring

/ How to rewind pull recoil starter spring #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I went to pull start the small 1 cylinder vac engine for my TracVac and there was a very loud raddled as it started then died. On pulling the cord there was no resistance. I removed the cover and a small cup like devise was loose as well as the centering holding bolt. I tried several simple re installations but to no avail. Then the recoil spring shot out of its holder and the rest was ...I quit

Unfortunately on previous posts, I have not been able to identify the engine but with several members help it is most likely a Kawasaki type. One has to use 50:1 oil mix fuel and she has run sweet since. On the inside cover of the coil housing it it MADE IN JAPAN ..SKK..

Question: how does one rewind the recoil spring? Are there professional secrets?

Photos of the engine etc attached.

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 81
   / How to rewind pull recoil starter spring #2  
Professional? let's see; last time I did one was a Poulan chainsaw and used vice grips and weed trimmer line. First time was a Sears 2 seat go-cart and I was 9 years old. I say whatever works, but vice grips to hold the spool once it is wound are pretty mandatory.

/ How to rewind pull recoil starter spring #3  
It's best to show pictures of the recoil. Motor pictures doesn't help. Have done 100's and there is a right way of doing them. Just maybe it's one I have done before.

/ How to rewind pull recoil starter spring #4  
If you are lucky there is a notch on the top edge of the rope reel. Get it all together with the spring loose and about a foot or 18" of rope hanging out where the pull grip is. Push the rope in while pulling up a loop thru the notch. You might have to make the loop before you seat the reel if it sets in a cup. When you get the loop just use it as a handle to wind the reel backwards keeping the loop in the notch. Wind back to the desired tension plus a little then pull the loop back down onto the reel where it belongs and let it wind in. Hard to explain but you should get it with a couple trys. Good luck.

gg

/ How to rewind pull recoil starter spring
Dear Leejohn: Unfortunately my garden/farm is 10 miles from home and when I got to my computer I didn't have the pictures of the recoil mech to include in the thread. As usual this malfunction is the "straw that broke the camel's back". It all started about a week earlier when i went out to start mowing down the grass to use as fine mulch around my garden vegetables transplants etc. Also i have a 5 acre patch of grass that If I don't keep ahead of it it grows unchecked and the constant rain here in SE Michigan has kept this grass going in a frenzy. I noticed that one of the tires on my TracVac was a little low and I started filling (air compressor with HF inflator with gauge) which for some reason does not register air pressure accurately. You know, pump it up till it feels hard then give it some more. The tire is a 16 6.500 8 and in the process the rim (split rim) exploded and missed my face by inches (Thank God) and grazed my hand with 2 small lacerations. This unit is old and i bought it used and you can tell that the wheels have been gerry rigged in retrospect. In any case, i have spent the week trying to find a rim that works on a 1" solid axle for a 16 6.50 8 tire with inner tube etc. I did have in my junk collection a single wheel with 8" rim but for a 15/16 shaft. So I drilled it out to 1" and it fit perfectly and I had all mounted and ready to go. My MF 205 started right up and as I went to start the TracVac the pull mech came apart. While it was still intact with the coil spring in the proper position(undisturbed), I took off the cover and found the center bolt had come loose and the Internal ?(cup) had flopped around. No matter how many times I reinstalled the cup, spring and bolt it would not engage the ?flywheel. At this point when the coil spring sprung out at me, I decided to head for home and double my Prozac. Hopefully, I'll get back out to the field in the next day or 2 and get the proper pictures.
I am encouraged that you might be able to help when I get the right pictures on the thread.

rockydocky or dockyrocky...not sure anymore. Right now I'm more worried about the Marines of Chattanooga, time to get the local Militias up and ready.

/ How to rewind pull recoil starter spring
It's best to show pictures of the recoil. Motor pictures doesn't help. Have done 100's and there is a right way of doing them. Just maybe it's one I have done before.

Leejohn: I found schematics which I feel accurately show my pull type recoil starter. It fits the Kawasaki fa210D pictures.
The bolt 92001 had come loose and the cup 14020 was rattling inside the case. I reassembled them and rebolted the housing to the engine but when I pulled the cord there was no resistance. I could not determine how the cup 14020 engaged the 49080 cup to turn the engine. then the darn spring popped out and the rest was...I need tips on how to get it back together.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 71
   / How to rewind pull recoil starter spring #7  
If you are lucky there is a notch on the top edge of the rope reel. Get it all together with the spring loose and about a foot or 18" of rope hanging out where the pull grip is. Push the rope in while pulling up a loop thru the notch. You might have to make the loop before you seat the reel if it sets in a cup. When you get the loop just use it as a handle to wind the reel backwards keeping the loop in the notch. Wind back to the desired tension plus a little then pull the loop back down onto the reel where it belongs and let it wind in. Hard to explain but you should get it with a couple trys. Good luck.

gg
This is the right way. Good description GG; I call it winding forward tho.
larry

/ How to rewind pull recoil starter spring #8  
Wish ALL recoil starters had those little notches. Makes things SO much easier....