JD 4520 Oil Pressure

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #21  
Unplug the fuel shut off solenoid and you can turn the motor over without it starting I do this after oil changes to bring the oil pressure up before starting.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #22  
Thanks for the tips. I'd really like to take the oil filter off and see if oil pumps out of there, but i'd rather not actually start the tractor up. Is there a way to turn the engine over without it starting?
O'k went to the tractor shed dug out the 4520 book and first mention of oil problems is check oil filter then check oil cooler. for leaks or plug inside coils. Now what type oil has been used? Turbo will burn and char oil not designed for turbo cooling.

To remove pan book says remove engine first.

Hope this helps in deciding.
ken

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
Unplug the fuel shut off solenoid and you can turn the motor over without it starting I do this after oil changes to bring the oil pressure up before starting.

This worked great, thank you.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
O'k went to the tractor shed dug out the 4520 book and first mention of oil problems is check oil filter then check oil cooler. for leaks or plug inside coils. Now what type oil has been used? Turbo will burn and char oil not designed for turbo cooling.

To remove pan book says remove engine first.

Hope this helps in deciding.
ken

Thanks for that, Ken. Nobody around here has a service manual in stock. Pull the engine? Ouch!

I did just pull the oil filter and it was mostly bone dry. To my knowledge the correct oil was used. How would one confirm that the oil cooler is not plugged?

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #25  
Thanks for that, Ken. Nobody around here has a service manual in stock. Pull the engine? Ouch!

I did just pull the oil filter and it was mostly bone dry. To my knowledge the correct oil was used. How would one confirm that the oil cooler is not plugged?
There is 2 hose fittings The one labeled A is top right and B top left behind oil filter the filter center bolt nipple holds to engine block the cooler housing. being careful would think blowing air into line would show clean oil or blockage of gunk.
If you decide removing engine. make sure the engine jacks are secure stable it is heavy. and There is so many lines wiring take time to understand how to reconnect when putting back together.
best wishes. do all checking before pulling the engine. Only 700 hours ?
ken

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
Yes, well- closer to 800. Thanks Ken. I'll check

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #27  
I think it would still be much easier to pull the front axle than pull the engine to get the oil pan off

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
Jd guy I talked to says it wouldn't run with no oils pressure due to hydraulic lifters. Things to check are the oil filter bypass, dip tube, or soft plug in the pump.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #29  
Jd guy I talked to says it wouldn't run with no oils pressure due to hydraulic lifters. Things to check are the oil filter bypass, dip tube, or soft plug in the pump.

Have you tried cranking the engine over with the fuel solenoid wire pulled and the oil filter removed??

Although my chinese 554 is obviously a different design, It failed to build oil pressure after mowing 10 + acres at a property about 10 miles away.
I had hauled it on my 5th wheel- and it was fine loading it up for the trip home, but when I started it up to drive it off the trailer -nothing- 0 PSI
after about 4 times starting it up and still no gauge reading I removed the oil filter and cranked it over.
In about 10 seconds or so the filter housing shot oil all over the trailer floor- But I was relieved...

If you haven't tried this it might be worth a try.

Hoping you don't have to split a fairly new tractor.

also i can't agree with the dealer on a stuck bypass- that would just bypass the filter and send un filtered oil at regular pressure into the oil galleries- a completely broken spring in the pressure relief(regulator) might cause zero pressure but have never heard of that happening on any engine.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
Have you tried cranking the engine over with the fuel solenoid wire pulled and the oil filter removed??

Although my chinese 554 is obviously a different design, It failed to build oil pressure after mowing 10 + acres at a property about 10 miles away.
I had hauled it on my 5th wheel- and it was fine loading it up for the trip home, but when I started it up to drive it off the trailer -nothing- 0 PSI
after about 4 times starting it up and still no gauge reading I removed the oil filter and cranked it over.
In about 10 seconds or so the filter housing shot oil all over the trailer floor- But I was relieved...

If you haven't tried this it might be worth a try.

Hoping you don't have to split a fairly new tractor.

also i can't agree with the dealer on a stuck bypass- that would just bypass the filter and send un filtered oil at regular pressure into the oil galleries- a completely broken spring in the pressure relief(regulator) might cause zero pressure but have never heard of that happening on any engine.

Yup I have taken the filter off and cranked it for greater than 30 seconds. I really wish I had a mess of oil at this point lol. Anyone know how the oil cooler comes off?