JD 4520 Oil Pressure

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #1  

carpedium

Tractor
JD4520
Hello and thanks to everyone on this forum for contributing. I am in possession of a ~2004 JD 4520 with around 700 hours. I started it up yesterday morning and saw that the oil pressure light was blinking. The manual says that the light will "glow" if there is an issue - not blink. I called a dealer and talked with a tech, who said that he's never heard of a light blinking so he didn't know much without bringing it in.

I pulled the oil pressure sensor off and tested it manually with air and it functioned with only around 5psi of pressure. To double check, I hooked a pressure gauge to the motor and ran it for about 15 secs. No pressure confirmed.

Basically, I need to confirm that what I think is the oil pressure switch, actually is. Also want to confirm that I am seeing the oil pressure light.

20150718_102346.jpeg
20150719_143235.jpeg

Am I correct in this diagnosis based on this info?

Second, Is this a common issue with these tractors? Where to start?

Thanks in advance for your help.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
Sounds like a poor ground or loose wire some place.

How does it sound like a poor ground, if there is actually no oil pressure? Also, the sensor is grounded directly to the block through the threads. I'm just trying to understand your contribution. Thanks for your help.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #4  
Suppose you have checked that there is oil on the engine? Any knocking sound? if you pull out the pressure switch and crank it, does it pump oil? very strange that it has lost pressure over night, sure your test gauge is working?

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
Suppose you have checked that there is oil on the engine? Any knocking sound? if you pull out the pressure switch and crank it, does it pump oil? very strange that it has lost pressure over night, sure your test gauge is working?

Oil is slightly above the upper line on the dipstick. I'll try pulling the the pressure sensor and see if oil comes out, but based on there being no pressure at the port I'm not sure if it's worth risking starting it up again. What do you think? I'll check my test gauge.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #6  
If its totally lost over night its most likely to be a problem with the oil pump or suction pipe, is it easy to take the oil pan off?

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure #7  
And your oil pressure light goes out if you pull the wire of the oil pressure switch?

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure
If its totally lost over night its most likely to be a problem with the oil pump or suction pipe, is it easy to take the oil pan off?

Yeah it shouldn't be too bad. It's parked outside behind the house, can just put an easy-up up.

/ JD 4520 Oil Pressure

Checked the gauges and they are fully functional. FWIW