New Holland 1920 Shifting Issue

/ New Holland 1920 Shifting Issue #1  

Paul75

Tractor
New Holland 1920
I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can give me some ideas about the issue I'm having. I own a New Holland 1920 and I've started having trouble shifting gears at the column. I thought it might be the clutch out of adjustment or possibly going bad, but it will go into gear easily sometimes and then not at all others. The clutch seems to let out fine and once in gear the tractor takes off fine. Is there a chance it is gear synchronizers going out and not the clutch? That is if it has synchronizers? When I called the local NH dealer the service guy said clutch, but I知 not sure since the clutch seems to be engaging and allowing the PTO to function fine. The tractor is a 2000 and has 2005 hours on it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advise.

/ New Holland 1920 Shifting Issue #2  
See if the shift linkage needs lubrication. That made a difference with my 1920. It shifted much better after lubricating the linkage

/ New Holland 1920 Shifting Issue
Thanks for the input Robert. When you say lubricate the linkage are you talking about at the shift handle connection inside the dash area? I did think about the linkage maybe being loose or dirty and possibly causing a problem. I removed the sheet metal plate right under the steering column and gained access to the shifter at its base. I then sprayed it with lubricant or at least everything I could see to spray. This helped the way it shifts at that point, but what I am experiencing is that it's grinding the gears as if there is no meshing of the teeth. Problem is it will do it at times no matter what gear I try to put it in and then after rolling a few feet and stopping to change gears again it might be fine. That's why I'm thinking synchronizers if it has them in the gearbox.
Thanks again for the input.