Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #1  

rickr6us

Tractor
John Deere 855, John Deere 325
Put power beyond on my tractor and now it won't start. My follow up post, after some investigation, thinking it could be the neutral safety switch. I had to disconnect some levers and the neutral switch is tough to move. I checked my grounds and they checked out for continuity. Does the seat safety switch disable the tractor from running or just the PTO? I would think it was just the PTO. The fuel shut off solenoid does not click which makes me think the vehicle might not be in neutral or the fuel solenoid shutoff is bad?. I used a jumper wire and the starter solenoid engaged the starter. The tractor does not click and does not make the starter engage. The battery is fully charged. Thanks for the help.

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #2  
retrace everything you did you have messed up or left something off

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #3  
Seat switch should shut you down. Keep checking your safety switches and your problem should be found.

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #4  
The only switch which should keep it from starting is the transmission switch. Look for a purple wire from the start terminal on the ignition switch to the trans and same color going to the starter.

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #5  
The only switch which should keep it from starting is the transmission switch. Look for a purple wire from the start terminal on the ignition switch to the trans and same color going to the starter.

No...the seat switch ("Operator Presence Switch") prevents the tractor from starting...won't even turn over, in fact.
I'm thinking a safety switch, but do check the starter ground.

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #6  
Roy-
I have started my 755 while not in the seat. I checked the schematic in the Deere TSM before replying to confirm that on the 655/755/855 the seat switch is not in the crank circuit but only in the PTO circuit.
If I rise off the seat on my 755 the PTO disengages but the engine stays running.

The trans switch is in series with the ign switch and starter.

Last edited:
   / Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #7  
Roy-
I have started my 755 while not in the seat. I checked the schematic in the Deere TSM before replying to confirm that on the 655/755/855 the seat switch is not in the crank circuit but only in the PTO circuit.
If I rise off the seat on my 755 the PTO disengages but the engine stays running.

The trans switch is in series with the ign switch and starter.

OK, I stand corrected. I definitely had a brainfart there since I normally start off seat too. I must of been thinking of the neutral safety switch.

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge
Thanks for the replies, I was able to start the tractor if I used a jumper wire from what I believe is the starter solenoid to the starter motor. The tractor would not stay running once I disconnected that jumper wire. The tractor does not click when I try to start it from the ignition and does not click multiple times which I think is the fuel solenoid. I will look into the tech manual to see how to test the purple transmission wire/switch unless someone can explain it on here. thanks

/ Machine down, money's tight, seeking JD 855 knowledge #9  
Confusing, because other JD models of that vintage do have a seat switch that shuts down the engine, like my 770. My PTO lever (left on) will also cause a no start. But my gear shift (collar shift transmission) can be in gear and started. I realize its a different tractor series than the 55 series, but they are both Yanmar made John Deere tractors.

I use the PTO lever trick when my machine is parked outside or if I don't want family members to use it. Been told its broken many times!