Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #1  

Kcdives

Tractor
New Holland
I have a New Holland Powerstar 4.75 that seems to be developing an overheating issue. I have about 250 hours on the tractor and it was serviced at about 175 hours. The last couple of weeks, while pulling my 15 batwing through thick grass (mowing at about 2.5 mph), the engine would approach the red-line on the engine temperature gauge. After a few minutes of idling, the temperature would drop and I could resume mowing for about 15 minutes before having to idle again to allow the engine temperature to drop. I was knocking out the dust screen about every ス hour or so and it wasn稚 too dirty between cleaning. The radiator and reserve are full (filled with antifreeze). I知 outside Houston and it was hot and humid outside (mid 90痴 with +100 heat index). I didn稚 have this issue last summer. Do I need to flush and/or rod out the radiator already or is this an issue with the New Holland engines?

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #2  
I am not familiar with this particular tractor but most are now running a radiator and oil cooler stacked against each other.
Check between them, even if it looks clean from the outside I have seen them packed between the two.

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #3  
:welcome: from a fellow Texan
If coolant is at full and outside of radiator is clean then I'll guess faulty thermostat. Is fan belt snug??

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #4  
If you have an infrared thermometer, you could always measure the temp of the engine block when it's registering high and see if the meter is reflecting the engine's actual temp.

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #5  
I would, as other have stated, check coolant and then use a hose and spray out all the coolers, condenser and radiators in front. They should either slide out or swing out in order to clean between them. This should be your first step.

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #6  
Use compressed air and make sure that the radiator fins are clear....stuff can get in there and fill up the gaps and you can't always see it.

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #7  
I have a New Holland Powerstar 4.75 that seems to be developing an overheating issue. I have about 250 hours on the tractor and it was serviced at about 175 hours. The last couple of weeks, while pulling my 15 batwing through thick grass (mowing at about 2.5 mph), the engine would approach the red-line on the engine temperature gauge. After a few minutes of idling, the temperature would drop and I could resume mowing for about 15 minutes before having to idle again to allow the engine temperature to drop. I was knocking out the dust screen about every ス hour or so and it wasn稚 too dirty between cleaning. The radiator and reserve are full (filled with antifreeze). I知 outside Houston and it was hot and humid outside (mid 90痴 with +100 heat index). I didn稚 have this issue last summer. Do I need to flush and/or rod out the radiator already or is this an issue with the New Holland engines?

I doubt whether the radiator core would need any attention at 250 hrs with the proper coolant in the cooling system. The usual culprits are clogged airside passages, malfunctioning thermostat, loose water pump drive belt, pressure cap not holding proper pressure, lower hose collapsing at high rpm. Check your air filter too. Restricted air flow makes the fuel/air ratio high leading to higher gas temperatures.

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75
Thanks to all for the help. Based on the suggestion from eth555, I figured out that I could slide out condenser. Despite having blown it out in place, the fins were clogged. By sliding it out I was able to access the back and open it up. The tractor is back to being happy, happy, happy. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #9  
Glad you got it taken care off, and gave us an update! The slide out condenser design is very nice!

/ Overheating New Holland Powerstar 4.75 #10  

I have one of these as well I noticed that my belt was slipping and fan was not turning properly. The belt is junk I am ordering a Gates belt through Napa It is an 8 rib x54 1/4" belt 1 1/8" wide Industrial belt Hopefully this will solve the problem. cost of belt around $43