Backhoe leak at starter

/ Backhoe leak at starter #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
83 JD 500C backhoe.

I put a new starter on a few months ago. Now when running, it leaks frothy oil in a steady stream where the starter is mated to the engine housing. Is there supposed to be a gasket there? I don't remember one on the old starter which was the original from '83. Seems like the 3 bolts that hold it on place a torqued pretty tight.

/ Backhoe leak at starter #2  
Could be rear main leak.........

/ Backhoe leak at starter
No idea since I'm not much of a heavy equipment mechanic. Starter is right on the side & easy to see & it looks like frothy oil is oozing right where the starter attaches. Only leaks when engine is running. Guess I'll pull the starter back off & take a look. Must have missed something installing it.

/ Backhoe leak at starter
I don't know what an enginebreather is.

Decided to watch it happen as the machine was started and found it is coming from the top of the starter - looks like it's the housing that covers the bendix and holds the solenoid? Appears to be coming from this area:
starterleak.jpg

This is a [very crappy] video of it right after startup. https://youtu.be/mFJkpKFjAEY

/ Backhoe leak at starter #6  
alot of this equipment was built that the starter drive ran in oil there possibly is a gasket missing also might try to follow flow see where it starts