Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them.

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them. #1  

Redneck in training

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM 330 HST with FEL
I have 5 ft bushhog with blades sharpened numerous times and getting rather worn out. Is there a way to weld on them new edges and if the answer is yes what electrode would you use. I have MIG and AC welding machines.

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them. #2  
Rather than weld a separate piece on, that could come off, I would just use the mig and build up the old edges.

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them. #3  
I'd imagine someone's tried it between no new blades and the difficulty of swapping them. I'd think it'd be a situation where hardness wouldn't be what you were looking for, unlike teeth and edges grinding away slowly isn't really the nature of blade damage.

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them.
Rather than weld a separate piece on, that could come off, I would just use the mig and build up the old edges.

That what I had in mind but what wire I should use to get more wear resistant edge.

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them. #5  
My dad used to cut out a piece of grader blade and weld it in. Worked well. Ed

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them. #6  
Take this to the welding forum for more responses.
I'm sure I've read of people "building up" cutter edges over there.

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them. #7  
I dont recall who it was but I think someone here built up blades just using standard ER70 wire and seemed to hold an edge just as good as the original material.

IF it were mine, I'd just use the ER70 that I have and possibly build the last 1/4-1/2" or so with a hardface stick electrode

/ Can you weld new edge on bushhog blades or it is necessary to replace them. #10  
I have 5 ft bushhog with blades sharpened numerous times and getting rather worn out. Is there a way to weld on them new edges and if the answer is yes what electrode would you use. I have MIG and AC welding machines.

I'm sure that with a great deal of metallurgical knowledge and cost a process could be developed to assure that a welded on edge was a safe repair. Failure of a blade due to a poor repair can have dire consequences. There is no retention capability built into the mower deck housing so a blade failure would be uncontained. There is no telling where it will go when it fails but it will have significant energy and can do a lot of damage. Replacement blades are not that expensive so I would strongly advise that if you believe your blades are worn out, replace them with new blades. It is simply not worth the risk.