Five star post hole digger ?

/ Five star post hole digger ? #1  

jerbear2

Tractor
Ford 2910
Was wondering if you could help me that I can not come up with? On the photo I am sending how do I get the adapter off the shaft ? Do you think it is pressed on [ no keyway] or could be it threaded right or left. I need a new seal and have to get adapter off. I think it is a five star post hole digger ?. I tried to get off with heat & 12 ton press & no go. Put in big vice and heated with torch tried to turn with big pipe wrench & no go.

Thanks
Jerry [ Wis.]

PS. Looking on Comp. at other diggers and a lot have same gear box but no adapter & not threaded just holes. Cant find break down for five star gear box.

Attachments

• Gear (3).JPG
    Gear (3).JPG
    691.6 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:
   / Five star post hole digger ? #2  
*It looks like a Comer gearbox, but could be an Omni, not unique to Five Star. *Is there another pin higher up the bushing securing it to the shaft? **
The bushing is just that, just slid onto the output shaft and probably stuck with rust and dirt. More heat on the output shaft. Possibly drill a hole through the end if it is solid and get penetrating oil through that end.

ForumRunner_20150909_191506.png

*( Five Star is now Superior Companies, *Dewey, Oklahoma and they don't manufacture posthole diggers anymore)

/ Five star post hole digger ?
No pin higher up. Could it maybe have a spline to hold it from slipping ? The photo of gear box is not like mine. Mine is more round on bottom. Going to give it more heat & drill hole think it could be rust.

Thanks for reply
Jerry Wis.

/ Five star post hole digger ? #4  
Now that I've given this some thought(I sold new 5 star diggers way back when) AND I COULD BE WRONG but I think adapter screwed on gearbox shaft.

/ Five star post hole digger ?
Hi
You are correct I took it to a machine shop today and they tried everything and ended cutting off the adapter with lathe and found threads. Now have to make new adapter. Wish I had seen your reply before I went to machine shop. Thank you any way.

/ Five star post hole digger ? #6  
I'm sorry I couldn't get my chickens gathered quick enough to save your adapter. Just goes to show you even a blind hog can find an acorn every once in a while.