broken dreams and broken axles

/ broken dreams and broken axles #1  

superCslim

Tractor
farmall super c, farmall 340
I HAD a guy lined up to trade a his Allis Chalmers wd45 for my running farmall 340 and a parts tractor. I go out to the farm to load the 340 up and on the way to the trailer I hear a knock and the tractor stops moving. I tried changing gears, turned on the pto and it was working and if a fit of sorrow I stepped on the breaks and it starts to move. I suddenly realized I was stuck with this turd until I fixed it.

That was about a year ago.

The tractor is still setting where I left it, untouched. Because the idea of having to take the top off the transmission makes me want to find anything else to do. Now I have run out of things to do. I have no idea what I'm looking for inside this thing.

Can anyone give me an idea of how far I have to go to get to the right axle? Can I reach the retaining bolt (if that's what it is) from the top or can i take something eles off to get top it. Or am I needing to look for something else?

/ broken dreams and broken axles #2  
I scanned the axle R&R segment from an I&T I have for the 340. Look at lower left corner of the page for the instructions. The Fig. IH1414 they refer to is at the top right of the page. Hope this method works for you, sounds better than removing the top cover.

340 Axle removal.jpg

/ broken dreams and broken axles
Thank you buddy. That would have helped. But I pulled the top off yesterday. I'll have to remember that next time.

I have always hear about how much weak the early 340 axles were. I just knew that's what it was. Based solely on the fact that there was no more sounds coming from the transaxle. Plus this thing had a rough life before I got it and I had been using it for the bigger jobs around the place. I knew it some much so that after a few hours pulling everything off the top and lifting that big hunk of iron by hand, I was in shock to find the retaining bolt in place and tighter then all get out..... Then I thought back about two weeks ago my super c broke the wheel clamp.... After looking it over I can see that the clamp was broken in such a way that the axle was just free spinning inside the wheel. I have learned some valuable lessons.

1) Don't jump before you look.

2) lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten.

3) don't make mountains out of mole hills.

/ broken dreams and broken axles #4  
Oh well, at least it's posted, and maybe sometime, someone may search the archives on how to remove the axle.

Wow, never saw a wheel clamp break. Dad had the wheel hub strip out on the 240 Utility here, back in the early 80's, but that's a different animal. It was a loader tractor in it's previous life, and someone just let the hub get loose.

Don't forget Lesson 4) Check postings a little sooner, when asking for help. ;)